Record Release Parties (posted in another room)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by biergott, Mar 7, 2005.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca

I originally posted this in the preformance room, but didn't get any responses, so I'll try here...

My band just finished mastering our CD, and we are sending it off for duplication.

We want to hold a record release party at a local club (we know the owner well, and can basically do whatever we want.)

However, we don't know WHAT we want.

There are many questions, since none of us have ever been involved with a record release party.

What we do know:
    We want to play our entire album (only 45 minutes)
    We will include a CD in the price of admission (no problem...the CD is only $7, and the door only goes to the performers, not the club....they make money on the bar)

What we don't know:
    Should other bands play?
    Do we need to offer food?

Obviously there is more we ddon't know that we don't know!

Any help, tips, suggestions or experiences are appreciated!
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    anytime ive been in a band that has had a record release party, its been the same as every other show.

you get 3-4 openers, and your band headlines. play as long as you want.

we have never down the food thing but you could buy food for you guys.

i dont know, record release parties arent a huge deal to me anymore. i just treat them like regular shows.
  3. Just the reason you might want to try making it a little more "special" than the average show. I hate going to and playing at shows with more than 3 bands. If you're giving away the record, make sure the bar has that in the ad. If you're going to do food, make sure it's in the ad. If the bar doesn't have an ad in the paper- take out an ad.

The Onion is local here, so that's been the best place for ads, and it's where I look to see club listings. The local paper that has the club listings is the place you want to hit.