1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recorder setup...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by tbassist4, Nov 19, 2006.

1. I hope this is the right place to post this. Anyways, I'm just looking for some recommendations of recording gear. I need a recording device that I can use to record myself playing bass for practice and possibly audtion purposes, as well as recording a choir. I'm a composer/arranger as well as a bass player and need some live recordings of one of my pieces, and look to do more of this in the future. I'm looking for something of very high quality. Easy portability isn't a problem, I just need to be able to get it places. So, I've heard good things about the EDIROL R-09 WAVE / MP3 Recorder and Player, but the fact that the mics are built in kind of scare me away from it. I would like something that I could possibly plug somewhere around 4 mics into. So a 4 track recorder would be another option for me. Also, what is the common medium of recording? I know MP3 would cause a loss of quality, but what about minidiscs, or a DAT tape (disks?). I don't know too much on the subject. As of right now, I'm thinking of looking into 4 track recorders, because those seem to have the most fuctionality and versitility. Also, what mics would be good to use for choral and instrumental recordings? Like I said, I'm looking to buy 4, so I can mix and match a bit. Thank you so much in advance!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Send me your email addy, and I'll send you a couple of cuts I recorded live on the Edirol. I really dig it.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use MD. They're good and have gotten better. THey are made to make it difficult to get your takes off of them and onto your computer, but there are ways around that and I think it's worth it.

My only complain is the way the record drums. When we record a gig, the drums always sound unnatural.

We recently recorded a gig to the trumpet player's MD and the sax player's mini-other recorder. Not sure what it was, but it recorded to a little hard drive. We all agreed the sound quality of the MD was noticably better. It probably depends somewhat on your needs.

I have to think that something great hasn't come out yet, but is about it, but that's where we are for now.

There is also recording straight to a mac to consider. I know people who have released albums that way and am amazed at the sound quality.

Troy

4. I trust your judgement Chris, so I just ordered one from Musicians Friend . . have you recorded on a gig? How many tunes does the 64MB card hold?
    Thanks . . :bassist:

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

On the 64 MB cards, probably only about 5 when you set in on an MP3 setting. I went with the 2Gb card I bought at a nearby camera store for about $60. With that card, I can record about 5 gigs (jobs, not gigabytes) on a single card before I have to dump the sound files onto the computer. Yowsah!

I record just about every decent gig these days, and find that there are usually a couple of keepers on every night worth saving. I also learn a ****load about things I'd like to do better from all of the cuts that aren't keepers.

6. Thanks for the tip on the 2GB card . . will definitely be looking for one . . Also that's exactly why I like to record the gigs, I am my own worst critic, and always looking to improve. It's amazing sometimes at what you thought sounded good live tells a different story when played back !
    and vice versa. Also a great tool for helping another band member get a reality check on their sound ! :smug:

7. I use a computer (now a Macbook) to record. To use a standard computer with 4 mics you would need an interface with some pre-amps (perhaps a Presonus firepod) and a program like Cubase-LE or Garage Band. For just recording stereo, I use a Tascam US-122 interface that accepts two microphones and supplies phantom power so condenser mics can be used. I use MXL 990 and 991 condenser mics. These mics are not real expensive and the Tascam unit is affordable as well. All the interfaces come with some kind of recording software, usually pretty sophisticated stuff. If you already have a computer, especially a laptop, it is easy to accessorize it to do your location recording. Some friends of mine and I did some multi-track work with Apple's Garage Band and that program worked great with the Tascam and the MXL's. Very easy to export to CD's also. The Macbook makes all of that so simple. We had mixed down CD's of the session to listen to at the end of the session.

That said, for drums to sound really good I'm afraid you need drum mics, especially for the bass drum. The drums sounded OK through the MXLs, but everything else sounded really good. I've used a pair of small condenser Oktava mics with this set up and these performed well also. I think you definitely want condenser mics for what you are doing, especially to record the choir. These don't usually have as severe proximity effects as dynamic mics and generally render a much more open and detailed sound.

8. I didn't mention that for not so critical quality, but good enough to hear how a performance went, the Macbook has internal stereo microphones that yield a surprisingly good recording. If you use it to record with that way you only need the Macbook with Garageband, which these all come with pre-loaded now.

9. +1 on the Mac and Garageband . . I've been using it for years now for multi-track home recording and have long since e-Bayed off my Porta-studio and BR-8. But I don't have a lap top so that little digital Roland that Chris recommends should be just the ticket . . ;)