Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording a horn

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Howdy all, I'm doing a demo this fall, and one of the songs will be a fretless and a sax...but I have no idea how to record a horn, at all. Do any of you know how to record a horn, so that you hear the horn, and not the room around it?

Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - The Feeling of Jazz is my absolute ideal for how a horn should sound on any recording. It's just sooo...*there*. It has phenomenal presence, throughout the entire song. When it first comes in, it sounds like it's right next to you. Besides having John Coltrane there in the studio with you, how can one achieve such a wonderful sound?

By the by -- mics at my disposal are Shure SM57s and SM58s, Beta 58, and AKG choir mics. Vegas Audio is the software.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    SM57 all the way. None beter in your arsenal. You may fidle with some ambient distant micing for flavor, but the 57 is your best bet.