1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording a live show via soundboard?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Nov 9, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    How do you do it? I've seen lots of Rush bootlegs saying "soundboard". Plus, how else would they get the marketed live stuff done.

To get the crowd, we'd have to point some mics tuned way down toward the crowd, right?

So what do I need to plug into to record through the mixer/soundboard? my band has a show coming quickly. I'd like to know what to do. Thanks. :bassist:

2. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Hello? Does anybody know?

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Anyone.....
    anyone.....
    Bueler.......

4. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    I've heard good things about the Zoom H4.

5. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    If I've got a standard recorder, where on the SB do I plug in to record through it?

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    plug the cables from the auxiliar out of the sound board to the input in the recorder.

7. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Weirdest mixes I have ever heard were from the soundboard. You get the ratios of what's in the PA, not a balanced sound. You also get the PA's EQ, not what people hear. Often it's drums (really bass drum mostly) and vocals very loud and whatever reinforcement is needed for the rest. If bass aint big in the PA it won't be on a board mix.
    A band like Rush in a large hall is all PA'd so it is closer to normal mix. It's still brittle.

8. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    We're playing in a nice reasonably big place. Drums are miked. Bass amp(s) (I do a cool dual amp thing with my Jazz) is/are lined out. Guitar amp is miked or is lined out. Keyboards are lined out obviously.

9. guermo

guermo

Dec 4, 2004
    I've got the Zoom H2 and plugged it directly into the board via the Auxillary out for our last show. Super weird result as others have said. You don't get the sound of the room, you get the sound of what's being boosted in the system. So super loud vocals, horns, etc, almost no bass as my rig was enough to not need alot of pa support. I got a WAY better recording at the previous night's gig just using a condenser mic at the back of the room, as other's have said.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    You can record it for sure, just plug the recorder from the aux out from the mixer but as BassBrass said do not expect a good result, probably it wont worth. It is good if you are recording one channel , example: a conference, preach etc. Different story will be if you can send each channel to independent channels in a computer so you can eq and mix later.

11. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    So just mic the room from the back? If you guys say so. i'm just worried about the sound quality.