Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording a rehearsal?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fender58, Jul 11, 2001.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I was wondering about recording one of our rehearsals at the
    studio. Is there a easy (cheap, simple) way of getting a decent sound just to be able to bring home the songs to learn and practice after the rehearsals??? We play rock and blues pretty loud. I would love any input about methods and gear needed please. I don't have much money to spend but I think it might help me a lot. Thanks all. I know the answer may be a simple no.

2. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I'd suggest a small conference mike that has a battery in it to power it, and a portable mini disc player, just stick the mike in the middle of the room and click record.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    A really cheap way to do that would be to put a cheap omnidirectional mic into a boombox. Cheap omnidirectional mics have a surprisingly good sound for simple recording, as long as it is carefully placed.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree with APouncer. Mini-discs are the way to go.

5. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    We record our jams with a simple boombox w/ built in mic. The sound isn't great but its good enough to figure out what we played and use to learn from. The only problem, is that you don't know which work well, because i just bought a cheap one for myself and everything is really distorted. But I think that this would be one of the cheapest options especially since one of you might already have one.

josh

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thank you all. I have tried a Boom Box with a real cheap mike and it is barely OK. I am thinking of a better mic? A mini dick sounds like the way to go. Could I use a cd player that records perhaps?

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    We used to record rehearsals with a boom-box that had the built-in condenser mics. Assuming you've got a reasonable mix in the room, just put the box up on top of something with the mics pointing into the corner or something like that. If you face the mics away from the sound source, your blend will be a little more balanced.