Recording a rehersal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fender58, Jul 11, 2001.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I was wondering about recording one of our rehearsals at the studio. Is there a easy (cheap, simple) way of getting a decent sound just to be able to bring home the songs to learn and practice after the rehearsals??? We play rock and blues pretty loud. I would love any input about methods and gear needed please. I don't have much money to spend but I think it might help me a lot. Thanks all. I know the answer may be a simple no.
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This is something that I do all the time. I use a portable mini disc recorder and a microphone. AIWA sells a mini disc recorder and a microphone, Sony also sells a mini disc and microphone bundle, I'm not sure what the price on these are though. Depending on the microphone you get, the recordings can be of very high quality.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to miscellaneous.
  4. Yep I confirm this.

I use my Sharp mini disc recorded and a Sony stereo mic. The Sony mic comes in at about £90 ($150 -ish), but it's pretty small, is stereo and gives your recordings more depth than a mono mic.

You'll need top experiment of where you put the mic, as it tends to cut out if the volume/ input is too loud, but you can get some great recordings.
    - I use a mini disc of a gig, recorded to tape to practice out set and it's the perfect solution.
  5. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks to all of you!!!
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is what I used to do...don't laugh. I recorded EVERY rehearsal and I did it on a 15 buck Radio Shack recorder. I didn't mic or anything because the band always practiced at full amplication anyway. I just recorded plain old ambient sound from the band and that trusty recorder captured a sound that was sufficient for me.

The tapes were good enough for what I wanted (not demo quality though.)

After more than a year I thought wouldn't it be cool to have a really good recording of rehearsals so I bought a hundred dollar Radio Shack recorder. Honest to Pete, this is the truth. That dad gum fancy recorder could not stand our sound levels and over loaded and distorted every time. We even tried putting it under balnkets or behind stuff to protect the thing from overloading. Nothing worked.

So I went back to using the El Cheapo $15 recorder. What is weirder, the recorder was like concrete. I dropped the thing on the floor many a time, and abused it many ways and it kept on recording and working. I even chipped off a whole corner of it and it STILL worked.

Anyway, that is just the cheap and easy solution I offer you. What the others suggested may sound truer and cleaner, but mine was certainly good enough for my purpose.
  7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks for the information. I have been getting OK results with the boom box. I think a better mic than the 25 year old (sony mtl-f96) desktop one I have may help?
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I recorded lots of rehearsals with the old boom box. What I did was point the mic to the wall, or corner, away from the source of the sound. It helped to pad the input, and got a more even level from the room.