Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording a Stingray..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptune, Feb 18, 2002.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Hey Folks, I'm taking my Stingray 5 into the studio in a few weeks for the first time since I got it. I'm used to recording with a Jazz, and I've heard Stingrays can be either an engineer's best friend or his worst enemy. Any tips from some of you Stingray slingers?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Never had any trouble recording mine. Stingrays are versatile instruments. IME, all you have to do is be flexible enough to listen to the engineer's suggestions.

3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks Fuzzbass. Another Maryland boy eh? :) I'm new to active basses. I'll be running the Stingray through a bass pod for starters, then maybe switch to the Eden Navigator if needed. Do you tend to run the Stingray preamp flat when running direct, or boost the eq? Appreciate the info.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Leave the EQ'ing part for the mixing engineer. I think he'll be much happier with you then.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yup, Maryland born and bred... GO TERPS!

Starting at flat is a good idea... I normally did that. I also ran straight into the board and let the engineer do his thing. Of course if there's a certain tone you're looking for, don't hesitate to say so. Unless you're really pressed for time, you should try using your gear and your settings to see if they work. But the engineer might have his own opinion... so might your bandmates. Good luck!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd forget the Pod and Eden and just go direct, using your bass pre to get your basic sound. Then let the knob-twiddler do his thang! A 'Ray 5 usually records great and sits in the mix like a king.

7. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. I feel better about using the 'Ray on the session now. I'll let you know how it goes!