1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording Active Bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I'm using a Tascam DP-008 and an Ibanez SRX-350 to record a bassline over an existing mp3. I've changed the settings from low-medium-high input and both guitar and mic level and on some songs with minimal bass it sounds fine but on some with a heavy bottom end, I have to turn mine up so loud that it distorts or keep the original track way too low. Any thoughts on how to rectify the situation? I'm recording straight from the guitar to the unit...

2. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    Try a preamp? Im not sure i quite understand your question, but when my last band recorded bass lines we had my active P going into a SansAmp BDDI into the interface, and it worked incredibly well.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Some active basses have internal pots you can tweak to adjust the output level.

4. Pre amp sounds like the way to go.

5. School me on the uses of a pre-amp. I'm not familiar with them or why/how they're used. Is this something used for recording or in a live situation as well?

6. Both. Every amp has a pre amp and a power amp. Combo units and heads have both built in, or you can go the power/pre route.

Ex:peavey IPR1600(I think that's what it's called) and a Sansamp RBI. Essentially that's just a bass head, but in two seperate units. Same goes for a pedal version of a preamp. Some pedal preamps can even be run with a power amp as well.

The pre amp is your tone shaping on your amp (all of your controls). Some basses come with an Active preamp, I believe yours does. I had an SRX 500, and it has passive pickups and an active preamp.

7. So even though I have a combo amp, would I run the bass to pre-amp and then to my amp? So the pre-amps main job is to shape the tone, like an EQ?

On a separate note, I have a headphone out and xlr out on my amp, how would using one of those outs into the tascam unit work?

8. Your combo already has a built in preamp. The XLR out of the combo is probably a DI out which you connect to the tascam via XLR cable. The advantage of this is that you'll the amp EQ toi help you shpe your tone before recording.

I don't think your problem is lack of gain because the tascam has a dedicated instrument input and two preamplifiers built in, and you say that you get a decent level with song with no a lot of low end. As you describe it, your problem is with tracks that have a prominent low end. I would suggest you learn how to use the tascam's unit built in EQ to reduce the low end on the guide tracks.

9. Correct. Your combo has both a preamp and power amp already, but you are able to use an external preamp (such as Sansamp RBI) with the preamp already included with your combo for more tone shaping options, or you can bypass your combos preamp, leaving only the volume knob working, and only use the preamp of the RBI for your tone shaping. You do this using the effects loop.