1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HometownLetdown, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. HometownLetdown

HometownLetdown

Sep 14, 2011
    So my band is getting ready to launch a Kickstarter for recording our album. However, we are having a disagreement in one area that I want your guys opinion on.

If you don't know how Kickstarter works, you setup a amount that you need to raise and for each set dollar of a donation the donate gets whatever you guys put for that price point.

My band wants to for $1000 put that persons name as the Executive Producer.

I do not feel comfortable with this at all, but they say its a meaningless title, what do you guys think about this?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    It's not a meaningless title. Producers and executive producers typically get points on the record. The title also implies the person was responsible for booking the studio, hiring the engineers, and shaping the album's sound and arrangement. Most producers act as the "nth" member of the band.

3. HometownLetdown

HometownLetdown

Sep 14, 2011
    Thats what I thought, just wanted to get the opinions of ones that have dealt with this before.

Thanks for the info.

4. ime, the implication is generally that they are responsible for the idea becoming a product. the level of envolvement required to accomplish that varies wildly from one band/label/genre to another. some sign a check & let the band do whatever they want, others micromanage every note recorded & $ spent.

in the best case scenarios i'd expect they'd be more along the lines of what Snarf talks about above. taking on financial & tactical decisions, so the band can focus on performing the material to the best of their abilities.

5. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I'd offer "Associate Producer". That sounds sufficiently meaningless to me. :)

6. mikerophone

mikerophone

Mar 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    That's a good one!

7. Executive Producer = $10k
    Associate Producer, 4@ $1k

That should pay for a modest product.

8. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    As long as you make it clear that they're only getting a producer's credit in-name-only, it's really nothing more than a shout-out. You could call them whatever you want, like "The Almighty Supreme Ruler of This Album and All That Is Good", as long as they understand that their donation's reward is just an album sleeve credit and does not actually give them the right to tell you what to do.