Recording available of Mingus' Epitaph conducted by Gunther Schuller?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So I was watching a TV documetary on Mingus recently and this came up :

"Mingus' masterwork, "Epitaph," a composition which is more than 4000 measures long and which requires two hours to perform, was discovered during the cataloguing process. With the help of a grant from the Ford Foundation, the score and instrumental parts were copied, and the piece itself was premiered by a 30-piece orchestra , conducted by Gunther Schuller, in a concert produced by Sue Mingus at Alice Tully Hall on June 3, 1989, ten years after Mingus' death. "

So, I've heard extracts and it sounds great - I would love a recording and heard that one was made in 1990, but can't find it on Amazon or in any net searches.

A lot of people seem to think that this is Mingus's most important and defining work - so why is it so hard to find on CD?

It seems like a real shame to me.......?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think I have it!

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have it. It is pretty good. I bought it around 1990 or so. I have it in cassette. I am not sure if I have seen it on CD. But, it is worth getting. There is a lot of great music in there. The booklet is pretty interesting as well.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dave-
    My copy in on cd; I do recall it being in one of those long boxes that typically came with cds of yesteryear.

It's been a long while since I played this; I think I recall(?) the piece being very dark & full of mood.
    I do need to check this out again.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Right - any ideas about where I could get a copy?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pop on over this weekend & we can work something out...

(Meanwhile, I will look/ask around)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks again! :)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    Not sure if this helps...
    www.cheap-cds.com
    Search for Mingus & scroll down(or search "Epitaph").

TWO(2) copies of Epitaph are there for $16 each; hopefully, they can help you out.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just checked...they do ship Internationally($3.00 per cd + about $1.50 for 'handling').

10. Bruce Lindfield

That great - amazing - thanks Jim!! :)

I just placed the order and it came to $24 which is really much cheaper than I would have expected to pay for a rare double CD like this in Britain.

Talkbass is wonderful - I have never seen this site before and didn't find it in any net searches.

I owe you one! ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm ...well I may have spoken too soon! :(

So the site does say it ships to England amd seemed to process my order.

But today I got the message :

"We were given the message 'Incorrect Billing Address'. Please Verify that the Cardholders Billing Zip Code matches the Billing Address used with your Credit Card Company."

Now I noticed that there was a space for "Zip Code" under credit card details, but I left it blank after trying to put in the British 'PostCode' - as this wouldn't fit!

So - now what? It seems you have to have a credit card account with a company that has a
    valid Zip Code - i.e. a US one!

So - basically, only US customers can pay by credit card?

I've never had this problem with other US companies - like sheetmusicplus.com or the Bass Collective and have bought many things from US-based companies using my credit card via their website! :(

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    E-mail them & tell I said fix it!

13. Bruce Lindfield

I have emailed them and said more or less what I did in the last post - no reply yet!

Are they friends of yours - will mention of your name get things done??!! If so I might send another email! ;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've probably been one of their better/regular customers since stumbling upon that site.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    Check your mail here at Talk Bass...