Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording available of Mingus' Epitaph conducted by Gunther Schuller?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So I was watching a TV documetary on Mingus recently and this came up :

"Mingus' masterwork, "Epitaph," a composition which is more than 4000 measures long and which requires two hours to perform, was discovered during the cataloguing process. With the help of a grant from the Ford Foundation, the score and instrumental parts were copied, and the piece itself was premiered by a 30-piece orchestra , conducted by Gunther Schuller, in a concert produced by Sue Mingus at Alice Tully Hall on June 3, 1989, ten years after Mingus' death. "

So, I've heard extracts and it sounds great - I would love a recording and heard that one was made in 1990, but can't find it on Amazon or in any net searches.

A lot of people seem to think that this is Mingus's most important and defining work - so why is it so hard to find on CD?

It seems like a real shame to me.......?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think I have it!

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have it. It is pretty good. I bought it around 1990 or so. I have it in cassette. I am not sure if I have seen it on CD. But, it is worth getting. There is a lot of great music in there. The booklet is pretty interesting as well.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dave-
    My copy in on cd; I do recall it being in one of those long boxes that typically came with cds of yesteryear.

It's been a long while since I played this; I think I recall(?) the piece being very dark & full of mood.
    I do need to check this out again.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Right - any ideas about where I could get a copy?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pop on over this weekend & we can work something out...

(Meanwhile, I will look/ask around)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks again! :)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    Not sure if this helps...
    www.cheap-cds.com
    Search for Mingus & scroll down(or search "Epitaph").

TWO(2) copies of Epitaph are there for $16 each; hopefully, they can help you out.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just checked...they do ship Internationally($3.00 per cd + about $1.50 for 'handling').

10. Bruce Lindfield

That great - amazing - thanks Jim!! :)

I just placed the order and it came to $24 which is really much cheaper than I would have expected to pay for a rare double CD like this in Britain.

Talkbass is wonderful - I have never seen this site before and didn't find it in any net searches.

I owe you one! ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm ...well I may have spoken too soon! :(

So the site does say it ships to England amd seemed to process my order.

But today I got the message :

"We were given the message 'Incorrect Billing Address'. Please Verify that the Cardholders Billing Zip Code matches the Billing Address used with your Credit Card Company."

Now I noticed that there was a space for "Zip Code" under credit card details, but I left it blank after trying to put in the British 'PostCode' - as this wouldn't fit!

So - now what? It seems you have to have a credit card account with a company that has a
    valid Zip Code - i.e. a US one!

So - basically, only US customers can pay by credit card?

I've never had this problem with other US companies - like sheetmusicplus.com or the Bass Collective and have bought many things from US-based companies using my credit card via their website! :(

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    E-mail them & tell I said fix it!

13. Bruce Lindfield

I have emailed them and said more or less what I did in the last post - no reply yet!

Are they friends of yours - will mention of your name get things done??!! If so I might send another email! ;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've probably been one of their better/regular customers since stumbling upon that site.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    Check your mail here at Talk Bass...