1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording Barefaced BB2 Cab.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SakuBass, May 17, 2019.

1. SakuBass

SakuBass Lvl 6 Pixelpusher Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    Please, let's hear mic suggestions for recording a Barefaced Big Baby 2 in studio. I really would like to know what you TB'ers use for getting the most out the full tone coming out of BB2 cabinet.

TIA

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I've always mic'd the BB2, Fearless, fEarFul, etc. multi-driver cabs by placing the mic exactly in the middle of the cab, roughly a foot in front of the grill. More distance increases room noise. Less distance might accentuate the woofer or tweeter. Actual distances will vary depending on type of microphone, room acoustics, etc.

You can use whatever mic you prefer. My favorite is the Peluso 22 251 large diaphragm condenser. I've also used a stereo configuration of Telefunken M60 small diaphragm condensers, and others. If you do a "multi-mic" session, be sure to position the capsules about the same distance from the grill to maintain phase alignments.

Finally, after lots of experimentation, it's still a heck of a lot easier to use a good DI! The main people who care about micing BB2 are its owners and potential owners! :)

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

SakuBass likes this.
  3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I would use a ribbon mic. I've got a shiny box 46mxc that sounds great and super realistic in front of a bass cab. I agree with Ukiah, about a foot in front of the cab is likely to he your happy spot.

4. SakuBass

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    That right there IS probably the reason for this post too. And I have to say, very impressive mic setup in the pics! Thanks for the input.

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  5. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Just an FYI, but when setting mics up XY (like you have with your Telefunkens), you want to get the mic capsules aligned vertically so they're as close to on top of each other as possible. The way you have them set up isn't bad, but it could be improved. Here's more info: XY Stereo

SakuBass likes this.
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Both techniques are valid. After all that experimenting, I liked the Telefunken M60s in stereo the best. With cabs like this one, players often comment how they sound "3D" -- and stereo is the best way to inject that depth of field into the sound.

SakuBass likes this.
  7. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    The way you have it set up can create phase issues. Also it's not clear what you mean by "stereo" because the XY technique is a stereo configuration. By all means do what sounds best to you, I just wanted to share some information.

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  8. SakuBass

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    By the way this is also one of the things that prompted me to ask this question, I just didn't know quite how to put it. When playing with BB cab I always get the sense that the sound is somehow dimensional. Maybe it is just that it sounds just about similar no matter the spot where you are listening and that is preceived as the sound having a form or dimension -> 3D. I will check the stereo recording definitely. Thanks for bringing this up.

9. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Don't underestimate the effect of positioning in the room, as well. Experiment not only with where the cab sounds best to your ear in the room, but also where it sounds best on the recording. They might not be the same spot.

A lot of the "3D" or stereo effect is impacted by reverberant sounds. With close mic'ing a cab this effect is diminished, but it's not entirely eliminated.

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Positioning is good advice. Geoff Emerick of engineering fame at Abbey Road Studios tells in his biography of recording the Beatles of moving McCartney's bass speaker cabinet out into the middle of the studio and micing it there. The position and environment added a distinct "tubbyness" to the tone. They recorded it in the middle of the night when everyone else was gone and there was dead silence.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021