Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording bass and guitar

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve-o, Sep 8, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this is personal prefrence type of thing...im sure
    but my band is going in to record.
    its a trio. what type of sound would sound best for a trio. its punk/ska/metal.
    would a little distortion be bad?
    and should i record from my di out on my trace and mic the cab..and mix.or just either or.

and would you prefer to direct record with the guitar? it will sound cleaner..but to clean?
    should this be miked. then direct for stero?

thanks
    steve

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    On the contrary, it might give a little life/dirt to your tone, which might be just right for your music. Be careful though, too much will take away all your punch and bottom. And I'd prefer a gritty overdrive to pure distortion.

If possible, record both DI and mic'ed cab - then mix the two for the best possible tone. The best might just turn out to be either/or, but that is to be decided when mixing, not when recording.

95% of the time, guitars sound a lot better coming from a mic'ed amp. That of course depends on the guitar, amp, microphone and style of music, but mostly DI is inferior. Especially with distorted sounds. They sound quite awful taken through DI on an amp. DI would only be an option if you seek a very bright 80's style clean tone (to use with a huge reverb/chorus/delay whatever), or if you have an amp modeler, such as a Line6 POD or Behringer VAMP or whatever.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well im either going to use a spider amp for guitar or a tube head..with a 2x12 cab

don't know yet

thanks
    steve

4. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

You can record with distortion, if you so desire. But keep in mind Oysterman's warning: you will loose bottom end and punch with most distortion boxes. They do make Bass Distortion units that preserve the bottom end (Sans Amp RBI for one).

If you do not have enough tracks for both a DI and Bass Mic, choose the DI. In most studios, a DI is used for Bass. Also, Trace Elliot's are known for their good DI's. Of course, if you have 24 or > tracks available, record a DI and miked amp track. Then you can blend as desired during mix.

Definitely mic that guitar amp! Unless you plan on joining Flock of Seagulls! Actually, Oysterman is right in that sometimes, clean guitar will sound good going direct. But in general a Shure SM-57 right against the grill, pointing at the speaker cone (angled to taste) will sound great (assuming you have a good guitarist, guitar, amp, room, mixer, recorder, etc...).

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Well i was going to record with my ric. stereo. with the treble going to the guitar amp..for a touch of distortion..then the bass to the bass amp...but i don't know..ill see what comes up..

any ideas?

thanks
    steve

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah, why not? You can always try it out to see how it sounds. Or do you have the time? Is this a paid studio visit or a home recording project? If you have plenty of time, experiment all you can. Eventually you'll find something that works.
    If it is a pro studio, hopefully the engineer knows something that works, but even then bring your own ideas - ask the engineer what he thinks, and if he thinks it stinks (he will use more polite terms, though), usually one is better off following his advice.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well we played around a little to try to get a sound..the best so far
    was a direct from my swr iod and mix it with a sm58 infront of the cab maybe 4in. away at low volume.

thanks
    steve