Recording bass dry and wet signal into Logic Pro

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Fodera72, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Fodera72

Fodera72

Jul 16, 2011
    NYC
    I am trying to record my bass dry and wet signal to Logic Pro using the following signal paths:

Signal path 1
    Bass -> Tonebone (Radial Bassbone) In-1 -> Balanced out XLR -> dbx 160A balanced in -> dbx 160A balanced out -> Apogee Duet 2 balanced in-1

Signal path 2
    Bass -> Tonebone (Radial Bassbone) In-1 -> unbalanced out -> EBS BassIQ Envelope Filter -> dbx 160A unbalanced in -> dbx 160A unbalanced out -> Apogee Duet 2 unbalanced in-2

I created audio tracks in Logic and set one to input 1 and one to input 2. But I am getting wet signal in both channels. I want to eliminate the Envelope filter from the other one and just get the dry bass signal. I was able to to do this last week when I initially set it up but, alas, not anymore! I must have changed something in the signal path but haven't been able to figure out what! Can someone help?

Attached Files:

2. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    You might try the 'loop' out and see if it gives a dry signal. I too always record bass wet & dry (one stereo and one mono) and man oh man the amps and fx in Logic are amazing... it's kinda embarrassing how much work (money) I've put into a pedal board yet the signal I can form in Logic from the dry signal slays everything.

DirtDog and Fodera72 like this.
  3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    So the exercise is to split the signal coming from the bass before it hits the Tone Bone/Envelope. That can be accomplished using a direct box if you have one. It might also work using the tuner out from the tone bone and use that to feed the other channel in your apogee although it will have some processing effect of the circuit in the tone bone. Another way might be plug directly into apogee and record a mono signal the on playback split that signal to bus. Route the buss to feed an output on the apogee, feed that back through ToneBone/Envelope and record the round trip to a new channel. You may have to move the track a few ticks to compensate for phase delay, but not a big deal. That would work with my UA Apollo, not sure about your apogee.
    Finally, you have tons of Eq and processing right in logic, including some amp modeling and stomp box envelop filters.... before going further, try using those built in capabilities. I have made some great sounding recordings using the built in processing in Logic. Be happy to share some... IM me.

Hope that gives you some things to try.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  4. I always go direct unless using a Sans Amp or similar ( make sure it is LOW NOISE ) , most EQ/FX etc. are done in the box , you want the best tone/sound possible raw then screw it up

tvbop and erratick like this.
  5. Fodera72

Fodera72

Jul 16, 2011
    NYC
    Yeah, I tried the loop insert as well but still could get a dry signal on the other channel. But I did find another workaround: coming out of the DBX unbalanced out into the effect pedal and then from the effect pedal into Apogee. Although in this signal chain compression comes before effect, which is not preferable to me. Oh well, need to keep tinkering...
    I usually most effects with plugins but I wanted try out some of the analog pedals that I have around. Here is a sample from what I was able to capture last week with this setup: .
    And thanks for the suggestion!

Bassiclees likes this.
  6. Fodera72

Fodera72

Jul 16, 2011
    NYC
    thanks for the suggestions . The Tonebone/Bassbone actually works as a DI when you come out of the balanced out with an XLR. It has a separate 1/4 output as well + a loop insert. Anyhow, I found another workaround that works: coming out of the DBX unbalanced out into the effect pedal and then from the effect pedal into Apogee. Although in this signal chain compression comes before effect, which is not preferable to me. Oh well, need to keep tinkering...

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    That pedal has no "through/parallel out" both outputs are wet. There is no way to split a wet and dry with that set up.

DirtDog likes this.
  8. JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    What I would do, besides buying a splitter, is plug into my amp. Come out the fx loop into the pre pedal, etc. Wet.

And, also come out the di of the amp, with the "pre" switch engaged. Dry.

Or, record straight into the interface. Dry.
    Then, run your computer's output into the pedal, press play, and record the output to a seperate track. Wet.

NoSlapForYou, BAG and Fodera72 like this.
  9. Fodera72

Fodera72

Jul 16, 2011
    NYC
    ok, makes sense in that case. thanks for the clarification

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  10. Fodera72

Fodera72

Jul 16, 2011
    NYC
    can you recommend a good quality splitter?

11. Fodera72 likes this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I love a Q-strip. It meets the needs of all input/output scenarios.

It will accept any input level, it has a through/dry output to run into a tuner or whatever, it has a di out put that runs wet when pedal is on, dry when off, high and low pass filters, and an additional 1/4" output that you can take into an amp at a switchable level for instrument levels or line levels. Plus, a sweepable parametric eq, volume knob, and an all analog build. Thing is dope.

13. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Lakland Basses
    Why don’t you record dry and reamp?

DirtDog and Gearhead17 like this.
  14. Piranha

Piranha Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Austin TX
    The dbx 160A is a single channel compressor. You're not going to be able to compress both the dry and wet signals without two of them. That being said, Logic Pro has a bunch of compressor models that sound pretty good to me. I would suggest bypassing the dbx and run striaght into the Duet.

15. Ryan in PDX

Ryan in PDX

Jan 14, 2020
    The multiple ins and outs on the dbx unit are for cabling flexibility only - "either, not both." They go to the same compressor circuit, and can't be processed separately. There's no way around this on a single-channel hardware unit - it was not designed for your use case.

I would suggest the following chains:

Dry: Bass > radial (balanced) > interface
    Fx: bass > radial (unbal) > FX pedal > interface

With the dbx inserted into one of those chains if absolutely necessary.

I prefer to record completely dry (at least on my dry track) and handle any tone shaping or compression at the mixing stage. I typically use two separate DIs (standard radial/countryman), one before and one after any pedals.

NKBassman and Fodera72 like this.
  16. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    You really only need a passive DI box. Sure, you can spend big $$$$ on more expensive DI's but most mid-range DI's will give you a signal that is more than good enough in most mixes.
    You can then just go from the bass to the DI then XLR-out to your interface for the dry track and then out of the "Thru" output to your pedals etc which then go to your interface for your wet signal.

Or, if you don't want to buy a DI......
    If you're doing any recording or live work having your own DI can be very handy at times.

17. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    I always record dry and add fx in post. That way you have complete control of fx. When you record wet you are stuck with the pre-fx.

18. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    There's something to be said for getting a sound and committing. You can always grab a backup dry signal via DI, but if you have a vision for the sound you want to create in the analog realm, then commit. Worst case, you retrack till it's right. If you're self-recording, you have that luxury. If you're getting paid, maybe not. Or maybe. Depends on the scenario. I've tracked some pretty wild stuff because the artist and producer loved the concept and didn't want to try to recreate it from a dry channel at mix down. The dry was there, but not the primary track. Nevermind that your performance will be completely different tracking dry vs. wet.

As others have stated, you can't compress pre and post effect on a single-channel unit like the 160A. If the filtered sound you're looking for is achievable with the 160A after the filter, then stick with that as your wet chain and go straight into logic with the dry chain.

Dry: bass>Tonebone XLR>Apogee CH1
    Wet: bass>Tonebone 1/4" out>envelope filter>dbx 160A unbal in>Apogee CH2. You should be able to use the balanced output of the 160A into the Apogee.

Do any additional comp/EQ on both channels in the box. You can probably find a 160A plugin that'll get you in the ballpark.

19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I’d strongly recommend just spending more time learning your DAW.

Logic is very powerful and comes stock with a lot of great emulations of classic analogue hardware units: there’s nothing the dbx comp or envelope filter pedal can do that can’t be done in the box with stock Logic plugins.

Piranha and Dbassmon like this.
  20. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    Get a Countryman Type 85 Direct Box. There's a reason it has nothing but 5-star reviews on Sweetwater. It's great, and affordable. Now, granted supply is low right now (like it is for most gear). So you might have to pay a bit more on the used market than usual. I got mine for $100 used. It's built like a tank. I run my bass through it even in recording situations where I don't technically "need" it.