recording bass onto pc with very basic setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thunder child, Dec 27, 2000.

1. thunder child

thunder child

Feb 14, 2000
    Recently I downloaded hammerhead rhythm station and sonic foundry acid 2.0 and I have been using them to generate rhythm loops and then put together rhythm/drum tracks. I have been writing bass lines and playing along to these tracks. What I want to know is if there is some way I can record my bass into the computer. What do I need to plug in where? What program could I use (especially freeware programs)? And can I do this using the computers already existing hardware? I know you get better quality when you pay for things but I am absolutely skint at the moment yet I don't wanna give up doing this kinda thing.

P.S. I am computer illiterate so please use language that I can understand.

2. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    First thing I would do would be to download Pro Tools Free.
    I use it on a Mac, but I believe there's a Windows version as well. Gives you 8 audio tracks and 56 (I think) midi tracks. The nice thing about this version is that it doesn't REQUIRE any additional hardware. Now, things get easier if you have additional hardware, but . . . The only thing you'll need is a cable with a mini plug (into your sound-in jack on computer) and a quarter inch plug into your bass. The one problem you'll have to deal with, though, is the fact that the signal from your bass will need to be boosted with some type of preamp. If your bass amp has a direct out or effects send, you can use that and it should give enough signal to send to Pro Tools. Anyway, I'm no expert, but I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Keeping in mind that you want a *basic* setup (I'm not recommending this to anyone who wants real fidelity), I'd line in to your sound card. Acid 2.0 allows you to record directly into the program (I've used it, too). You need some sort of adapter to go from your amps line out to the 1/8th" line in jack. This is not going to sound great! The line ins on sound cards are notoriously crappy, but they'll serve the purpose you're looking for.

One other word, Acid seems to have a latency problem. I've used it with my DAW which has a very low latency but have had to manualy adjust the timing of the lines I record. not a big deal, just leave room before you record to "slip" your lines around.

Good luck
  4. thunder child

thunder child

Feb 14, 2000
    Thanks for your replies Dave and Pacman - I'm now clear on how to get it all working. The problem is now, though, that my brother is very concerned about me running a line out from my amp and into the computer ...... he thinks it's asking for trouble. He said there's no way I should do that unless I can plug in a "spike arrestor" between the two. Does any such thing for this specific purpose exist? If it does where can I get it and for how much?