1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording bass through soundcard + preamp

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mouthmw, Apr 27, 2010.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I've got a passive Yamaha BB414 and I've tried recording stuff through my line-in on my Sound Blaster Audigy.
    I used Ampeg SVX and I got a clear soud but it sounds too clean, too synthetic and sterile. Mainly lacks the middles and that warm punch.
    Recently I got myself Aguilar Tone Hammer. I guess using that preamp made my bass like an active one since I got a boost in sound volume, and more controls for my tone, and although it is better, it's still too sterile and lacks that nice warmth that I get from my amp.
    I used - BB414 into Tone Hammer into line-in with Ampeg SVX plugin.

I've read on the Aguilar site where the Tone Hammer clips are that most of those clips are recorded directly into their Pro Tools.
    I'm no pro when it comes to recording, but is there a way to get a decent bass sound using the stuff I have?
    Would a program like Pro Tools help with the sound?
    If I don't use Ampeg SVX, I get a lot quieter sound and only my left channel works. Ampeg SVX boosts the sound a lot and both channels work then.

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I've managed to get a better sound by shutting some things off in AmpegSVX.
    I've put the amp on standby and the cab speaker on bypass.