Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording Bass with a computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Redmandrake, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Redmandrake

Redmandrake

Sep 24, 2002
    Miami
    hi all:

i will help anybody that needs assistance with a computer setup and recording your bass on the hard drive. From the hardware, the operating system, to the best plugins and sequencers. any questions just ask me and I will do my best to help.

Xavier

2. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Sounds great .. How do I? All the steps if you don't mind. I have computer, I have bass, I have pre-amp. :confused:

3. YOYO

YOYO

Apr 4, 2002
    FRANCE-PARIS
    So it's the same for me.
    THanks

4. Redmandrake

Redmandrake

Sep 24, 2002
    Miami
    Hi guys:

i will try to be as specific as possible and avoid confusion with too much technicalities.

First,...It would be nice if you guys could give me info on your windows systems respectively, such as memory, hard drive space,sound card,etc...below is, in my opinion, a guideline to a good music system:

1.) 128 - 350MB memory
    2.) 20 - 40 GB hard drive
    3.) A decent sound card that is full duplex(meaning you can monitor your recordings) which most cards do anyway. Even built-in cards are fine, but not high quality,such as sound Blaster. Obviously, if you have the money, do spend something on a sound card with quality. What do I use?...a built-in sound chip that works fine for me...I havent needed an expensive card yet.

Second, ...what type of music are you guys into?...If I know this I could steer you in a proper direction, such as best sequencer and plugins.

In my five year experience, I have been using a Gateway Essential PC with 128MB of memory. A 20 GB hard drive, USB ports(no serial ports), a small screen, Steinberg's Nuendo sequencer(this software appears to be less streeful on the CPU and memory), Orion Platinum (great for creating drum patterns and songs, Stienberg Rebirth for more drum creations, plugin that are crucial for me(in terms of Bass guitars are) a.) Ozone Izotope mastering plugin, Stienbergs Quadrafuzz for a "sand paper type sound like that of Les Claypools "oysterhead group", Soft synths that are essential are Native intruments Pro-53, and the greatest of them all,...Absynth!!..these two synths work miracles for me.

What bass guitars and gear do I use: 1.) Ibanez Musician bass, and a Rogue fretless bass(yes!!..believe it or not, its not the expensive basses that will make you a star...but the feel and comfort you get from playing one. The Rogue cost only $199 but the sound has been remarkable. Go for feel, and creatively follows...

Believe it or not, I do not record with an external bass amp, but instead use two types of modeling boxes, 1.) the line6 bass pod and the Dean pocket amp(a $30 dollor value!!) both give me a great sound...inside the computer!!!.

The important thing to remember is, try not to overstuff your system with needless plugins and software. Just stick to want you really need for "your music".

Write back with your stats so I can get a better picture...

Xavier

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you want cool no-frills modeling for free, check this out:

http://www.simulanalog.org

Download link:

http://www.simulanalog.org/GSuite.zip

Most people I know like these a lot!

6. Boafamily

Boafamily

Jun 6, 2002
    Redmandrake,

I downloaded the free software Audacity to record with and I was wondering if you know of any free converting software that will take a Wave file and change it into a MP3 file, which should condense the size of the file being saved/sent?

The wave file for a simple 30-45 second recording of bass with effects is 5MB-10MB and this is huge when you’re trying to send it to someone.

And maybe because it's free that aren't trying to allow all the flexibilities of some costly software, when it comes to saving and exchange these files?

Thanks in advance and have a blessed day,

Boafamily:cool:

7. Hey boa

Check out Musicmatch Jukebox. Does mp3<>wav conversion and you can get it free!

www.musicmatch.com

(I think)

8. Boafamily

Boafamily

Jun 6, 2002
    Arch Giddle,

I have this on my computer already, but didn't know it could change up the files!

I will give it a try this evening, thanks bro...

I'll let you know how successful I am!

Boafamily:D

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    CDex, Exact Audio Copy and others that use the LAME encoder are good choices.

www.exactaudiocopy.de

www.cdex.n3.net

There are also several frontends for LAME, e.g. RazorLAME or EasyLAME http://www.citay.de/easylame11.exe

10. Boafamily

Boafamily

Jun 6, 2002
    JMX,

Appreciate the information and links as well...I will give them a shot to see if they can get these wave files down to puddle size files...LOL

Boafamily;)

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

JMX is really the man. He is always able to give a heads up on these things.

Very cool.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  13. Boafamily

Boafamily

Jun 6, 2002
    There is no excuse not to be able to solve this dilemma with all these possibilities my friends.

It's truly a blessing to be able to share information and knowledge across the globe this quickly.

I solute you all!

Boafamily :)

14. What do people recommend for recording (sequencing?) software?

(Cheap or free)

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    N-Track is cheap. http://www.fasoft.com

Pro Tools Free is, well, free. Only works on W98/Me though, and is very picky about what computer it is used on.
    http://www.digidesign.com/products/prd_overview.cfm?product_id=1202

To get really good software, you have to spend a couple of hundred bucks. Or maybe just spend some time with KaZaA. :rolleyes: ;)

16. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Since N-Track has ASIO-capabilities, and most (semi-)pro software does too (Cubase, Nuendo, Wavelab, Logic, Reason, Fruityloops etc.) it's recommended to get a soundcard with ASIO 2.0 drivers. ASIO is a pro audio driver interface developed by Steinberg that allows low latency and other pro features. The Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496 or Delta 44 are good choices @ 200$, other entry-level cards come from Terratec or Hoontech. Stay away from Creative Labs!!!!

17. Redmandrake

Redmandrake

Sep 24, 2002
    Miami
    hi all:

About a year ago I stumbled upon an article on the essential plug-ins for your bass guitar recording on the computer. It was on the Bassplayer.com website but due to changes and modifications, that article is not available. so i thought I would ask everyone if they could post their opinion on the best plug-ins. here are mine:

For Effects:
    1.) BBE Maximizer
    2.) Stienberg Mastering Edition
    3.) Amplitube
    4.) Antares Microphone Modeler
    5.) Waves Native Gold Bundle

For VSTi/DXi(Soft Synths)
    1.) Native instruments Pro-53
    2.) Native Instruments Absynth
    3.) Native Instruments FM7
    4.) Native Instruments B4
    5.) stienbergs Model-E

Hope to hear from you all

Xavier

18. Red, JMX

I like everything you've listed plus Wavelab has proven very useful for mastering songs after mixing.

Zee
    PS: I'm using a Yamaha DSP factory Card 2416
    and SONAR 2 as my sequencing. I will say that I upgraded my sound card to a SBL and have had a few problems with it, specifically a beeping sound every 90 sec or so? and only when I'm using a SS like FM7 or B4? Any idea's what this might be?
    I'm trying to cut the SBL out of the loup to see if I can isolate the prob?

Also, It's a bit of a pain using my Ref Monitors for all the audio and the computer speakers for the midi stuff?

19. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah Redmandrake, great choices!

Wavelab is essential, how could I forget it :oops:

Another cool insider tip is Samplitude/Seqoia.
    Samplitude 7 is going to kick some booty, but so will Nuendo 2.0.

An old fave of mine is Acoustic Mirror, but it's a cpu hog.

Izotope Ozone 2 is another great mastering FX package.

TC Works Spark FX Machine...there's so much great stuff out there...

20. question for you all...
    when i record from my md through the line in and into sound forge 6.0 it seems to go great. when i play back, however, there is a high- pitched whine (and its not my gf-kicked her out). any ideas what it is?
    i was thinking maybe its interference between harddrive and md, but im a novice at this...help