1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording comparison betweenMinimark and ParaDriver

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Fabio_MIJ, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Hi Guys,

I hope you are doing fine. The quarantine brings me to experiment during the long weekends.
    Here you have a small EUB demo (Contrabbassi MK, mod. Studio Fly), recorded at the same time in 3 different ways:

1) Using a MarkBass Minimark miced with a Zoom H1n in stereo frontal direction:

2) Using the MarkBass Minimark DI into a Scarlet i2i soundcard:

3) Using a SansAmp ParadriverDI into the same Scarlet i2i soundcard:

All settings are kept relatively flat and mixed into Ardour with no eq or effects.
    The guitar is a Kalamazoo's Heritage h150 into the Paradriver with a little reverb.
    Thanks to Commusic for the drums loop:

which one do you prefer? Give me your feedback!

phloxxo and madbanjoman like this.
  2. Martin Spure

Martin Spure

Feb 4, 2020
    Denmark
    Hi Fabio, thanks a lot for these clips. I really like the MK studio basses and are hoping to get one myself in a few months time. Are you playing with the strings that came with the bass, or did you change the strings to some other brand?

To me, the clip with the Paradriver sounds more organic and upright-like, although eq-wise the low mids (and maybe also the low bass) could be rolled off a little bit. That is a matter of taste, though :) ... I would be very interested in hearing the MK/Fly through the paradriver with a little less of the above mentioned, and also (if possible) a cut of the mid frequency around 700-800 Hz. (This usually removes some of the piezo-'quack'/'nasal' sound generally found in piezo pickups)..

All the best :thumbsup:

3. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Hi Martin,
    Thank you for your feedback, I have lived in Copenhagen for 18 months a couple of years ago, beautiful city, I would not mind moving back there again. At that time I was traveling a lot by plane with the MKfly.
    To me the Paradriver sounds nicer, a little compressed, and with the typical mid scoop associated to this DI: for me it is a V-shaped eq, I had actually to raise a little bit the mids centered on 750hz. And as you said maybe too much bass.
    The miced Minimark does not sound balanced, because of the mic that is not appropriate imho.
    The Minimark DI sounds to me the most similar to an acoustic DB, although would need an eq to adjust some frquencies.

The Paradriver turned out to be the easier way to have a decent sound, almost plug'n'play.

4. Martin Spure

Martin Spure

Feb 4, 2020
    Denmark
    Indeed, Copenhagen is a beautiful and easygoing city (but so is Firenze, Rome, and many other cities in Italy;)).. one tend to overlook the beauty of their own city/neighbourhood. ("The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", I guess). However, the downside of living in Copenhagen/Denmark is the very high cost of living. I've lived in 5 different EU countries, and Denmark was by far the most expensive to live in.

I actually considered the MK-Fly, and although it packs down very neat, I reckoned I wouldn't be traveling with it much, so I've decided to go with the regular MK Studio. I live in an apartment where even the MK Jazz would be too loud acoustically for the neighbours :bored:

I just had a re-listen to your clips, and have to agree with you: The markbass DI sounds very good and with a bit of eq'ing, it would definitely come close to an URB w/piezo. (This is why I like the MK's so much!)

I didn't know the paradriver had the v-scooped mid. It still sounds great, I think. A bit beefier and yes, maybe also a bit compressed, as you point out. It has quite a lot of features and eq possibilities, so for a small 'plug and play' preamp, it is very good sounding. Quite a few Talkbass members are using it for URB with great results and I don't see why that shouldn't apply to the MK as well.. After all, I think the MK is one of (if not) the best sounding EUB on the market. Mirko builds some great sounding basses. And I cannot wait to get one myself :woot::woot: ...and then I intend to use it with the Acoustic Box 2 preamp, which I think will be a really good match to the MK, although a bit expensive. (I looked into both the paradriverDI, the Empress Para, Gracedesign Felix before settling on the Acoustic Box 2 from Vintage Revolution, as the preamp to use with the MK. But that's the next step; need to save up some money first for that..)

Take care & All the best:thumbsup:

madbanjoman likes this.