Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording cost

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im sure sure if this belongs here....so here it goes

about how much is the going cost for an ammateur recoring for a 6 song cd?

bp13

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    How many hours do you plan on spending in the studio. Cost is based on hours. I think the standard cost is around $100-$250 an hour.

3. you guys are throwing around some big numbers...the most expensive (and best reputation) studio around here 'only' charges $60/hr., and we feel like that's a lot. And this studio has done some really good professional, radio-ready albums, for some national label bands too. We're getting ready to record one song there and will probably end up paying around $630. I know this is just Columbus, OH, but maybe it depends on the city you're in...?

4. check out your area's local band websites too, a lot of times new studios that are just starting out will offer great deals to build their portfolios. So you can find a great price but of course you take the risk of going with a 'no-name.' Then again this no-name could be the next Mutt Lange and you might luck out.

You also need to ask yourselves what the purpose of the 6-song CD will be. Are you going to use it as a demo CD to pass out to venues and get gigs with? Are you going to try to sell them? And/or get them played on the radio? This makes a HUGE difference on what type of studio you go with and how much you pay (or even if you go with a studio at all or do your own mixing, like was mentioned above...that might be all you need really.) Also, when you start getting serious about recording, you're going to ask yourselves "do we really need to record six songs?"

We did our first two songs for $300 total, but we just wanted to have them as demos to 1) keep our morale and band momentum up and to give to venues for gigs...they're not great at all (they're on our website if you're curious, see sig), but they did the job. Now--2 years later--we want a song that's good enough to get on the radio. We would never submit our demos to radio stations, so we're going with (arguably) the best studio in our area and paying four-times the price we paid for the demos.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    shouldn't amateur recordings be free?

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    so i guess 100 bucks for the whole cd ain't bad...

bp13

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    have you heard any of their work before?
    That's definitely 'cheap...'

8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yea i've heard it...

its not great....but not bad either

bp13