Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording covers & copyrights

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by basss, Jan 15, 2006.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    What legal stuff is involved in recording covers? I'm planning on recording a CD soon and am thinking of including a couple covers. The CD will be for sale - not a demo CD. What will I need to do to keep everything kosher with the lawyer types?

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    hello. we just released a cd that we covered a t-rex tune on. we did "jupiter liar". before any cd company will press your cd, you must first contact the HARRY FOX agency and request permission to record the cover song. you will fill out a pretty lengthy form and they will then charge you a fee for covering the song. then you will need to present the permission slip from HARRY FOX AGENCY to the factory that is pressing the cd. hope this helps.

HARRY FOX AGENCY=212-370-5330

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks
    How much is the fee? Are you done after the paperwork and one time fee?

4. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    it varies per song i think. we did the most obscure t-rex song known to man and it was like 180.00. imagine what a beatles song would cost!!!! they will let you know how much before you commit to anything. i will check later tonight and post the exact amount it cost us. 180.00 sounds about right though. after you pay them you are good to go. the fee is based on the song, how many cd's you are pressing, where will it be distributed [usa or worldwide] and the artist who owns the copyright.