1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recording direct with Catalinbread SFT

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassnut62, May 1, 2010.

1. Hi

i normally use a Bassman 135 head into a MusicMan 1x15 cab for recording, with mic on cab and blended with direct signal from back of amp head.

I recently got a Catalinbread SFT and am very impressed with it; so now I'm thinking about recording with it instead of lugging my rig down to the studio we've booked.

Has anyone tried recording direct into board with an SFT?
    If so, what did you think of the results sound-wise?
    Any other relevant experiences to share?

Ta

2. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    I'm bumping this, I would love to hear clips of the SFT run into a di.

3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    sorry, haven't tried it, I've never been very happy direct recording although I am sure it is done all the time

4. jrmy

jrmy

Dec 19, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Do you know what kind of gear the studio has? If they have good preamps and good modeling software, you might not even need the SFT. Heck, if they could reamp your signal (you record it clean, they send it back out to put it through whatever effect you want), you could use the SFT and whatever they've got to tweak the sound.

5. jrmy

jrmy

Dec 19, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Also, many of the more "pro" recording studios I've used have a decent backline of their own. Heck, at one recording session, I hauled my gear up three flights of stairs only to find out that my amp had died, and they had a better one waiting there to boot!

6. wiseguyst

wiseguyst

May 30, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I do not have the SFT but I did recently run a VT Bass pedal, (1/4" out) into a Focusrite compressor with great results. We liked this option best for sitting in the mix (pop rock) and still having an element of "grit." Crisper than mic'd B-15 but not as lifeless as straight DI. I'd imagine that the SFT would perform just as well into any rack compressor or even Avalon U5 or similar.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    in the studio, i will try anything if i think it'll work. an engineer at a studio with state of the art effects had me record with the delay from a cheap boss multi because it worked and was already set up, and the track sounded great. so bring it and try it out. if it doesn't work, plug into something else.