Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording distorted bass?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I am trying to record a Conmklin GT-7 through a Big Muff pi into a mixer to an audiophile card to Nuendo. It sounds OK through the headphones, but not once it's tracked. Is this a situation where I need to mic an amp? Please share your methods. Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Can you be more specific about how its not ok? Does the bass seem to disappear? The tone sux? Fuzz bass is tricky because the frequencies are all over the place. But you don't necessarily have to mic an amp.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    through the phones at first it sounds huge, like there is a lot of air being moved. After, it sounds a bit lifeless, almost compressed. I have to play with the EQ to bring it back towards it's former giantness. Usually the 80-250 ranges gets a +2 boost and the 1000 gets a +1 shelf and it's closer.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    One reason might be the pan law used for mixing, at least it's one of the reasons why people say that the mix in Cubase doesn't sound as good as the final mixdown or the mix in other programs.
    The default in Cubase is -6dB, in Nuendo -3dB. Logic's default is 0 dB.

This can make the mix quieter (and thus "worse-sounding").
    Change the pan law to 0 dB and see if this helps.

File ->program settings -> VST -> Stereo pan mode

change it from -3 dB to 0 dB.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks JMX I'll try it when I get home!

7. When you are monitoring your bass through your headphones, it could be you are monitoring before tape(or computer).

The ideal way to do monitoring when recording is to monitor it after tape(computer). That way you are listening to what it would sound like through the A/D converter, the preamp or the input to your computer. By doing that you can make sure the signal is not cliping (analog or digital).

However, you have to use a fast computer for you to be able to do that in real time. If not, there could be a lag.