recording drums

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gumby7, May 9, 2001.

1. gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    what's the easiest way to record drums? I only have one cheap mic. where would be the best place to put it? and if I need another one what is a good CHEAP all purpose mic? im talking 100 dollars or less... well all advice would be great thanks
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The Shure SM-57 and SM-58 are good mics under $100. I've had very good success with them.

One mic is going to be tough to get a good sound. I had a similar problem once, and I positioned the mic above the bass drum, toward the center, but inside the kit, so it was close to the toms and snare. It was really the center of the entire kit. I've tried pointing it down from up above, and pointing it in, from the front. Oddly enough, I had better success pointing it in. It's certainly not the best way to record drums. Most recently, I've gone with 8 mics.
  3. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    My drummer uses those clip on mics in each drum, then that AKG bass drum mic thingy in the bass drum (duh) into a mixer, and then tape outs into one or two channels of our four track. works well to record an idea but not fo demmo quality.

As for one mic or two, I'd take Jazzbo's advice and use an overhead and one in the kick drum. Or try a left and right overhead for a "stereo" effect. Play around and see what suits you better. I'd go with more than one mic though
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I dunno about recording necessarily, but it's my job to setup for live situations. At the bare minimum we use three, one for the bass, and two overheads. And that actually is all we really need. But, then again, that's live where most of the sound is acoustic anyway.
  5. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Real Audio track at of Future's So Bright was recorded by hanging a pair of SM58s over the drum kit, panning one full left, the other full right in the mix. The RA sound quality is a bit weak, so you can't hear it as nice as one might like, but it gives you a pretty decent sense of what we got.

SM-57s are probably the way to go if you're on a budget and don't want to spend money.

And get tripod-base boom mic stands. The Sam Ash Groove Pak brand is probably one of the best cheap brands of mic stands out there. I have a pair of their deluxe boom stands which have done great service for me and were unreasonably cheap.

6. gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    thanks guys... i'll try putting the mic in the center. and see if my parental units will give me the money for a sm57. well keep the replies coming.