1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by yaksonator, Mar 31, 2013.

1. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    In the past several months I have been recording (a lot) and experimenting with my accumulated effects collection. My question is why is it sometimes in normal recording situations (bass>effects>di to console, to studio one) does it lack the beef I hear in my cab? I've tried eq'ing during mixing but it gets all muddy and just not what I hear through my cab. And what would be a better mic to record my effects through my cab? If that's the solution at all?

2. .
    I tend to record my bass tracks over two (or even three sometimes) separate tracks at once. This gives me a lot of scope for beefing up the eventual (final) bass track on the song.
    The Zoom B3 allows output of wet (left and right channels) and dry signal.

If you can somehow configure your setup so that you can record a dry track at the same time as wet you may be able to try similar.

Track 1 is my "wet" signal, the one that I have played with the EQ on. It's always the fuller sounding track and played alone, it can sound muddy depending on what I've played with.
    It doesn't matter if it is muddy, read on.....

Track 2 is my bass' dry signal. The best tone I can get out of the instrument using just the onboard controls.

I then blend the two for clarity and "beef" in the final mix.

Occasionally I'll use stereo effects on Tracks 1 & 2 and record the dry signal on Track 3, once again blending them in the final mix.

Works for me.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For my band's current album I split my signal between two rigs: one "dry," the other wet. I use the term "dry" loosely because that amp was often mildly overdriven.

We also used a few different mics across the speakers so that when we mixed the different tones could be adjusted for complementary eq.

Links in sig for samples if interested.

4. I primarily record direct using a combination of bass to DI & some sort of amp sim sometimes with effects. About the only time I actually use an amp for guitar or bass is if I need to get feedback or "amp sustain".

5. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Yeah I almost always record clean and wet. I use a summit audio td100 for my clean gets a really nice warmth to it. Probably should of mentioned that! I also realized i had the eq section on my 3leaf audio enabler setup with emphasis on mids boost. Which is nice but its still lacking "beef". I'm gonna try miking my cab and see what happens, see if it relays what I like most about the way it sounds through it. Trying to get that sound out that's in your head can be challenging. But fun.