1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording for garageband

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GekkeKelvin, Jul 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GekkeKelvin

GekkeKelvin

Jul 6, 2018
    Hello people,
    I have a question, i want to record with my bass in garageband but i don't know how to do it and what i need for it and i couldn't find out.

I have a macbook air 11 inch, an Ibanez TMB30 and a Peavey microbass. (Peavey MicroBass II)

what stuff can i use i already have a female jack so i can put my earphones in and play, but can i put an male-male jack in the female one and then connect it to my laptop to record?

(sorry for not really good english)

-Kelvin

BOOG likes this.
  2. GekkeKelvin

GekkeKelvin

Jul 6, 2018
  3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You can either use a microphone to record your bass or record it via a direct line.

The easiest way would be to run Garageband and use your Macbook's microphone as the input, then play your bass through your amp and record it. Not the best sound quality.

To do better, you need a USB recording interface that will convert your bass' output into a digital format the computer can use. You can get one of those for as little as $30. You plug your bass into the interface and the interface into the Macbook. Garageband will recognize the interface as an input source and you go from there.

Latency is going to be your issue; this is the very small time that passes between when you make the sound with your instrument and when you hear it come out of the computer. It will drive you crazy. A faster computer and a better USB interface run lower latency, all else constant.

You can also use an external microphone and mic your amp. The microphone would plug into the same USB interface. Same latency issues though.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    BOOG, triode6L6a, Jborg and 1 other person like this.
  4. GekkeKelvin

GekkeKelvin

Jul 6, 2018
    Thank you for helping me out. this is more my price.

5. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    I always connect my bass directly to the input line of the imac and I'm ready to record.

lazycat93 likes this.
  6. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I don't think the Macbook Air has an input jack, unless the headphone jack works as one. The Macbook Air I'm typing this on doesn't, anyway.

abracadunphy likes this.
  7. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    You're right, usb interface then...

8. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
  9. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
  10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Things like these are good, I use a Behringer one now, but for years I used a 1/4" to 1/8" guitar cable into the microphone jack on my mac laptop with great success. Not sure if they make those anymore but you could always buy an 1/8" adapter to put on one end of a regular guitar cable then plug it in. Worked for me into garageband for years.

11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    As stated above the Air does not have a mic jack. He'll have to use a USB device.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    ahhh, missed that sorry!

13. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Peavey Xport - $50.
    Apogee Jam - $120 new, $50 used.

I have owned both. The Apogee is more expensive, but has better sound quality (and less noise).

14. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I use a lexicon alpha as my interface to computer. It was 50 new and it sounds pretty good. It’s not the most robust piece of gear out there but for recording or playing with headphones it’s pretry solid.

15. mogator

mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    For simple stuff I use a Fender Slide device into an iPad. It would work just as well with a Mac. Almost no latency on the iPad. I've found them "new" for as low as $20 on Reverb and Ebay. MF once had a DOTD at $30. It includes a headphone jack.

16. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    On iPads - I have an iRig with a lightning connector that works with an iPad. It also has almost no latency and is really smoother to use in general than the USB interface/Macbook combination.

I gave the OP advice above about using his Macbook because that's what he asked for - but in fact I do think it's easier with an iPad until you get around to more complex editing on the app.

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Apple has a TRRS which is a Tip Ring Ring Sleeve
    It is a CTIA standard
    Mobile-Cell-Phone-Acoustic-Tube-Earpiece-Earphone-Headset-for-Apple-iPhone-6-6S-Plus-5-4S.

You could just use the built in mic(s)
    Click on the Apple and bring up System preferences. Go to the sound icon.
    Make use the Mic is turned on with the slider up.
    Un-select the ambient noise reduction if it's turned on.

18. GekkeKelvin

GekkeKelvin

Jul 6, 2018
    Thank you guys for the advice! As you may see i'm new to the forums but i like it because a lot of people help you almost immediately. :):thumbsup:

19. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thread Revival...!

Am I right in assuming the GK Plex is just the same as using iRig into GarageBand?