recording for the first time=>any advise??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Berten, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    I will be recording in a real studio the 22th of februari for the first time in my life. Any advise you guys can give me? Things I have to do and thing I don't have to do? Things/stuff I will need???

2. figure out what you're gonna do and how you'll set up (as much as you can figure out) beforehand. assuming that you're payin' your hard-earned cash for this studio time, you don't want to waste any. bring cables for direct inputs if you're gonna go direct, cables for other stuff (thew studio will have cables, but you can NEVER be too prepared). headphones if you'll need 'em. depends on the setup of the studio. what are you recording?
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Always roll tape!
    Once upon a time-
    ...there were these tunes this guy 'hired' me to play on. One of them had a unison line that was a little fast & a little awkward(for me). I shedded it for two days; I was still "iffy" on it.
    Anyway, when it came time to record, I asked for a rehearsal/pass-thru. Well, I nailed it...but the tape wasn't rolling. Needless to say, I fat-fingered the subsequent 5 takes. NEXT!

FME, the early takes are 'best'. I would consider not stopping a 1st take even if you flub something. IMO, the energy/adrenelin/"anxiety" of take 1 is something that may be difficult to duplicate in later takes. You can always punch-in, right?

Attempt to get a happenin' take with the drummer.
    If you have a guitarist who likes to play too loudly in the headsets...ask him to dub his parts in later after you & the drummer have done your thing.
    Trust me, nothing is worse & more energy draining than not hearing yourself in the phones(& the drummer not hearing you, either).
    Always be tactful...until it's the time to not be tactful.
  4. Berten

Jun 6, 2002

What do you mean with: what are you recording??

By the way, we can go in the studio FOR FREE. A friend of mine is studying for 'sound engineer' and we go to the studio of his school.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I know it is confusing, but the "recordings" title to this forum refers to the products of recording and not the process of recording. So I'm going to move this to the other forum which deals with the process of recording and the equipment involved.

By the way, I'd add here that even though your studio time is FREE it may not be UNLIMITED. The best advice I can offer is have all your material as ready as you can make it before you enter the studio. That means both your songs and your gear.

Saving studio time works out well two ways. One, it
    does just that, save studio time. The other is that an endless recording session can suck the life out of you and your bandmates. If you have your act together before you record, you will be fresher and your results will be fresher.

Good luck and let us here your recording when you are done.
  6. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!..make sure you have your stuff togather. Evne tough you are not paying it always helps.
  7. like, what's the band setup? bass, drums, and guitar? bass, drums, two guitar, vocals? bass, drums, flute, oboe, and organ? i'm just wonderin'.
  8. I echo the practice comment... You can never do enough. Practice with a metronome. Even if you don't play to a click track (and you should!) in the studio, working with a metronome will enforce discipline in how you play.

Don't be discouraged when you first hear yourself played back. You will be alarmed at how you sound. Try to figure out at home what sounds best when you record yourself (onto tape, or into the computer or something). What amp settings are you using? What treble/bass settings are you using on your bass? Have you got new strings? Are they broken in (consistently in tune) yet?

Be REALLY clear as a band how the song is going to start/end when you're going to take solos, go to the bridge etc. BEFORE you get to the studio. The more work you do before hand to get as slick as you can, the less time you will need editting things in the studio.