Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording for the First Time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cap, May 9, 2002.

1. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Before i get started...i wasnt sure if i should put this here or in Recordings so im gonna put it here...move where ever needed please!

Now then...
    on the 11th of this month...my band goes in to record our demo and we know that all we need to bring is out instruments...i know i should bring...new strings...string cleaner...picks...ect. is there anything else i should bring as a just in case?
    And when record im gonna see about putting the songs on that Talkbass station of mp3.com:D

Thanks
    Capster

2. What I remember from my first recording last March was that yeah in the case of the bass the bass itself may be enough... if the studio has the sans amp thingie to record directly into the mixing console. Know how you want the studio tech to set the sans amp up of course.

But be 220 percent ready physically and mentally. Otherwise the demo will take longer to finish... mo' money...

Good luck and enjoy!

3. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Patience, confidence and an open attitude. Enjoy it :D

4. Bring another bass if you can. I know when I went to record with the Ibanez i had at the time i couldnt get a sound i wanted, so went for the Jazz bass which sounded great. Practice lots, know your parts upside down and dont improvise on your takes, it just wastes time cos you mess up your timing once and you have to start again.

sim

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Cap,

If I were you, I'd take a small amp with me for that recording session. Many basses sound crappy when just D.I.ed into a console. If it is the case, then you'll have the solution to record the D.I.ed bass AND the miked amp, then finalize by finding the right balance between both signals.

Also, if someone among your friends can lend you a SABDDI or Bass Pod, this would also be a secure way.

All the best,

6. Are there any problems with just taking in your bass and effects pedals, and DI'ing from the pedals to the console? To me, this woul seem the best way to match your live tone and studio sound.