recording from amps.....wait for it....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Crosh, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Ok, i know this is a recording question, but it's not about bass, so that's why its in misc.

I'm thinking about getting a small 10w tube guitar amp (from the on-line company to use for recording guitar onto my tascam 4-track.

The amp has a speaker output rated at 8ohms.....

What does this mean ? how will it affect my recording, in the sense of directly plugging in to the 4-track from this output.

My previous method of capturing guitars was to plug in directly to the 4-track, but this leaves a lot to be desired with the sound quality and volume levels.

What to do ? I like recording riffs and song ideas and need a way of capturing (better) sounding guitar (my bass lines sound fine played back - they come from my amp's direct-out output) especially distortion.
  2. good question. IMO, miking the amp is the ONLY way to record guitar. it depends what kind of music... are you just looking for some badass distortion? if so, get a smokey amp for like $30, i love mine. in fact, get one anyway. it's such a cool toy.

do you play guitar regularly? if so, maybe you should bite the bullet and buy a real amp, because you know you'll want one eventually. i'd get a blues jr, because it's loud enough for small-med gigs and quiet enough so it breaks up at sufficiently low volume.

i wouldn't really worry about getting a pristine tone unless you're a solo artist, though. get a rough sketch on tape, then rerecord it with the band.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    DON'T, I repeat DON'T connect your amp speaker output to anything BUT a speaker/cabinet! It can damage your 4-track.
    Use the preamp out or line out, or use a mic in front of the speaker.
  4. Thanks guys, any suggestions for mic types for recording. I'm on a budget. Cheers