1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording from Bass Pod

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Swizzle, Apr 5, 2006.

1. I have recently got a Bass Pod XT-Live, which has been a dream for me for a long time and also far exceeds everything I have dreamed!
    I have been able to connect it to my Laptop and able to record via the usb cable.
    The recording is clean, but my amp gets a lot of electrical noise from the pod via the laptop usb cable. If i move the mouse of do anything on the computer the noise changes a lot, it all stops obviously when i disconnect the usb cable from the laptop.
    I think it could just be a laptop thing, but wondered if anyone else has experienced the same or not and if you have fixed it anyway?

2. Sounds to me like you need a way of isolating the grounds. Now, I do NOT mean cutting the ground pin off a mains plug ok! Never muck with mains power!

If possible, try running the laptop from batterys, if the sound goes away then the grounds are your problem, if it stays, then I'm afraid it's just the nature of things. I've found laptop audio outputs to suffer from the same problem.

What might help, if it's a ground thing, is an isolation transformer between the pod and your amp.