1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recording from multiple states?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    is it possible to record if you are in one state and your buddies are in a completely different state? im not talking about overdubs, i want to do it live. not live on stage but live in the studio. is it possible to do this with good audio quality? are we going to get to do this eventually?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Interesting Idea
    If you google
    virtual jam session
    Or similar, you will find some information.
    Speed of WAN would be an issue. If you did midi you probably could keep latency and drop outs low. I don't know you'd ever find an acceptable latency.

3. Easier to send protools files.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    eJamming is trying to do that sort of thing, but I can't see it be the same as being in the studio together. Even if the latency is low enough to get through rehearsals, it will probably be enough to make a recording off.

5. smashing pumpkins at one point had 2 tape machines synced from across the country so they could record at the same time. it can be done.. but im sure its not cheap. you'd have to have a master clock (and a darn good one) to run a "slave" machine to. might be easier with a DAW, but again, theres a lot of syncing to be done.

i dont know specifics, i just know it has been done.

if both multitracks are live, and recording/playing back at the same time, then theres no reason you cant track together. im sure there are drawbacks though. might be easier to just send the files back and forth... but if you want live feel.. good luck to ya

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

There's a reason you can't track together. You need to rent a high-speed dedicated data line, because you can't afford any latency caused by normal Internet traffic and routing.

As for transmitting a master clock, you might even need a second data line for that. And special hardware/software to do it.

This is affordable for a mainstream band, but not for the rest of us.

7. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    I did a lot of virtual recording with friends in NY when I was living in Cali. Create some drum loops, record bass, then send over to friends in NY to dub the guitar and vocals. Its not the BEST recording, but its cool to float ideas at each other.

What album did SP do something like that? Why did they do that?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

When I read this I was thinking of "altered states" - as in they were drunk and you were sober!! :p

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    We do this kind of thing here at work when we do radio interviews using an ISDN connection. However, this takes dedicated hardware on both ends and a dedicated special data line. (i.e. expensive) It is only 2 channels as well. Even then, there is still a very slight delay that would throw music off. The quality would not be nearly as good as if you were recording locally to your DAW, as well.

I would just send files. MUCH less pain later while mixing.