Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording gear and equipment FAQ - call for questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MKS, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Hey there,

JMX and I have discussed putting together a FAQ for this forum. I have approached MrFortuneCookie who has agreed that this would be a good idea and I'm hoping that when it's done he'll sticky it to the top for future reference.

Our own "area of expertise/experience" seems to be based mostly around computer based recording. However this forum has also had good discussion on using Minidisc recorders for recording where there has been useful discussion on pros and cons of various machines, microphones, techniques etc.

Basic questions would be something along the lines of:
    "What do I need to make a recording of myself playing bass?"
    "What soundcard/sequencer/audio editor should I use to record?"
    "How can I do all this without spending huge amounts of money?"
    "What software will give me a decent backing track for my playing?"
    "What drum loop software should I have?"
    "How do I record into my computer?"
    "How do I convert my recordings to MP3/CD?"
    "How can I record my rehearsals?"
    "Which Minidisc player is good for recording?"
    "How should I set up a mic to record my rig?"
    "Why shouldn't I use ProTools Free on my Pentium 400Mhz PC?" ;)
    "When should I use a soundblaster, and when should I buy a decent soundcard?" :eek: ;)
    "Cakewalk or Cubase or something else?"

Some of these will be fairly straightforward for us to answer, but others will need more contributions from regular recording "experts" or "more experienced" folks.

Hey, I don't record on my PC for money, just for fun but I've done it long enough to have a few opinions and I'm happy to share them. Hope y'all will feel the same way. I'm not necessarily right all the time, but I hope we can put together something useful.

Any prospective contributors welcome.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Questions relating to the standalone DAW side of things might go down well too.

You could also link to my review of the Roland VS-2480 (and comparison with Yamaha AW4416) - it's loooong - and it's in a thread somewhere in here started by CS, called something like "Hey moley-how about that VS2480 review?".

3. As stated by MKS, i do infact completely back this FAQ and do plan to place it at the top of the forum in order for all to find it easily when necessary. Thx to everyone who is putting in time for this.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    maybe a group of links to some FREE audio software on the market. Such as Audacity and some mp3 encoders. ..just an idea.

I think this FAQ is a great idea.

5. Thanks for that SMASH. I really value your input on this...

ALL - Any more suggestions please feel free to add them to this thread. Ideally I think it would be best to refer internally to other threads within this forum or include links to external sites with more detail rather than write up lines of explanation and opinions. That would keep things neater. I also see this FAQ being aimed at people beginning to record (on computer or other equipmnt) and explanations of basic items ("What's a condenser mic for?") rather than in-depth discussion of more advanced techniques.

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I am just starting to get into home recording on my computer.
    Maybe it would be good to have Mac and PC area's?

Are there any more available that anybody knows of? I am having a "glitching" "dropout" problem with the Audacity software I just downloaded. Has anybody had this problem with Audacity?
    Thanks, Danny

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    There's been a lot of questions re portastudio's, microphones and sound absorbtion/insulation.

8. I'm a homerecer as well. Plus I work in the tech industry and I'm a partner in a production company that's slowly getting off the ground. Let me know if I can help.

That being said, and since mic questions are so often raised here, Harvey Gerst's "Big Mic Thread" is a must. It's located here:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=27030

It gets more advanced than some here might need, but it's full of useful info.