recording gear: guidance needed

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassochist, Mar 16, 2003.

1. bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    hello one and all

my brother and i indend to buy gear for home recording. we have a room we can set it up in and everything. my query is what type of gear should i buy? we are looking to probably record stuff onto a digital recorder or something along those lines and then be able to write that to a cd.
    money isnt too big an issue. we are looking around $300 or so, but if we have to we can pay more than that.
    my friend who has a studio set up in his basement uses a single mic, elevated above all the amplifiers and stuff, which records through an EQ and onto a digital device of some kind (i think he uses an MP3 player?).
    so if anyone could recommend what i will need to buy to set up something along those lines and how much money i should expect to pay i would be obliged.
    also, if you know of any other methods which you think might work better i would love to hear your input.

many thanks :bassist:
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

Yes, if you already have a good pc and/or a really good sound card, just get some software and an interface.
  3. My thoughts exactly.
  4. bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    yeah i have heard good things about protools as a recording program.
    im beginning to think that a computer program is the best bet...
    i could use recommendations as far as what program to purchase although this is already being discussed in other threads...
    the one question is if i have an adequate sound card, which i dont know if i have...
    i have a Gateway computer windows XP its relatively new...
    not on that computer right now so i cant find out how good the sound card is...
    but i will find out when i am back at my computer and i shall post it and hopefully someone here with far more knowledge than myself can tell me whether or not that sound card will suffice.

thanks again and apologies for the long posts
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Pro Tools is a heafty program...moneywise and requirementwise. If you only have $ might not be able to afford the real version. There is a free version..but it does'nt run on XP.
  6. bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    yeah i went to the protools site today...
    dont think i have that kinda money quite yet...
    any other recommendations?
    my friend has cakewalk and says he likes it.
    im trying it out this afternoon hopefully.
    anyone else have any recommendations for programs for recording?
  7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003

soundforge can be had cheap. what are you trying to record, what style, and for what means? poops and giggles? practice? demo's? you can still go analog cheaper than getting some of this software and you'll gain some experience in sound. if youre gonna use any mics, get more than one, especially if you're recording drums too. you dont have to get any top-o-the line mics but the more the merrier. i'd also recommend having one to record at instrument level, to get the acoustic sound of the instrument as well as its amplified sound. and try them all out, mics are like MIM fenders, all the same but oh so different. i've had some great $20 mics. you can also get behringer mixers for super cheap, and theyre not that bad.
  8. bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    well we intend to record demos most likely
    i just checked my computer, and my sound card is not very good...
    so for recording on the comp i would need a program and a new sound card
    perhaps going analog is in fact the way to go...
    i had intended to go with 1 or 2 mics and then run those into a digital recorder of some kind as i may have a deal lined up to receive a digital recorder second hand from a friend with built in EQ and a bunch of stuff and it can be uploaded to a computer to put on a CD.
    any recomendations for what i should look to record onto? i think i have just about ruled out recording on the computer...:meh:
    i have plenty of time to look around for what i intend to purchase, so i would love to hear as many opinions as i can.
    so i guess my new query is what should i record onto?
    a friend of mine says he records onto a mini disk player and that it comes out pretty good, but then there are those who record onto their digital recorders... who also say it comes out well...
    recommendations regarding this?
    and another long post from me...