Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by olivier, Jan 12, 2006.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Since it seems to be the season for due credit...

I am very thankful to TB for helping me select a Creative JukeBoxe 3 and Sound Professionals mic, Very good and light recording gear.

2. I went and looked this up and they've taken away the recording capabilities of the Jukebox 3 in the current version - bummer :crying:

Never heard of soudnpro mics before and I'll bear them in mind - thanks

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    They can be found on e-bay, and I think there's a hard discount store near where I live that still has a couple of them new and under garanty in stock, maybe smthg around 150 €. PM me if interested.

4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently bought the new Sony pro mini-disc recorder and am very pleased with it, although it is considerably more expensive than that.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MZM100/

The microphone that is supplied is remarkably good, and the ATRAC compression is much cleaner than mp3 (it will record in WAV format if you need uncomressed CD quality). It will play mp3s, though, if you want to use it as a walkman; you can upload and download audio via USB to your computer.

I bought it to record my practicing and gigs - so far it's been a little too honest for my liking :( .

5. Looks ideal but this model doesn't appear to be on sale in the UK as far as I can see.

6. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Which is unusual, since the Mini-Disk as a format has been embraced much more in Europe than here in the US, where it never really caught on.

Another plus to the Sony recorder is the relatively low cost of the Mini-Disk media (compared to other removable media like compact-flash cards)

7. Yeah - the recordable ones were/are very popular with musicians but the US is a bigger market I guess. Minidiscs often turn up in PA engineers racks over here BTW but if someone is doing a serious recording for cd issue an Apple mac will appear with a MOTU, say at least 8 channel, converter.

So, does having the minidisc make you feel about your sound - has it made you make any changes - new strings for instance?

8. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Strings, no - I'm already a hopeless stringchangeaholic, so the hope is that listening to these recordings will stop that expensive tinkering and get me focused more on technique improvements.

To that end I think that I have made progress - I've been concentrating on my RH technique, both style (angle and strength of pull) and fingering (i.e when to use the middle and [occasionally] ring finger to best effect). It seems to be improving my sound in practice, but I still fall into old ingrained habits during the heat of a gig. More practice needed to ingrain the new techniques, clearly.

Becoming more consistent is another challenge - I have to work on my left hand for that now, as I'm not stopping notes as cleanly as I'd like every time, especially at fast tempos.

Then there's intonation, arco, melodic line structure, thumb position and soloing - it's a bit like painting the Golden Gate bridge...by the time I get through with that lot I'll have to start the beginning stuff again :D

Anyway, it's a nice sunny January afternoon here in SoCal - I'm off to practice my barbecuing skills :p

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Boy that is the truth. I have the same issue. Probably another thread lurking there.
    Exactly. Lately I've been really chomping at the bit to try some other strings but have been resisting those impulses to try to get "the sound" out of what I've got. I'm not sure how long I can hold out, I've got the anima itch.

You and I spoke in a PM about other recording formats particularly the M Audio Microtrack 24/96. Didn't know if others had tried that over mini discs or not. I've been thinking about both.
    Ok you just suck. It's freezing cold here and my BBQ is covered with rust.