1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording Gear

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Fredeuh, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Fredeuh

Fredeuh

Aug 15, 2005
    South France
    Hi Steve & Michael
    I was wondering what gear do you use for your solo works and why did you choose that.
    Thanks a lot and keep on creating great music and making us dream ;)

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Fredeuh,

I record onto a PC. My soundcards are two M-Audio Delta 44s which gives me 8 in 8 out (never used more than 2 out, but there you go. :) ) - the Software is Adobe Audition. I've got ProTools M-Powered on my iBook, which I can hook up to an M-Audio Firewire 410, but I prefer Audition to use.

The rest of the gear between my bass and the end result is my live rig - 2 Lexicon MPX-G2s, a Looperlative LP1, a Mackie 14 channel desk, and a Kaoss Pad KP2. I use my AccuGroove Tri 110s when I'm recording, and a pair of Alesis M1 Mk II active monitors when I'm mixing. :)

I'm in the middle of recording a new solo album at the moment - the recording part should be finished this week, and then the mixing starts. Due to be out mid-June.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Wow, I'm pleased to say I have some gear in common with you Steve! I enjoy my delta 44 and alesis monitors quite a bit! A quick question to add to the discussion: do you record completely direct all the time as implied by your first response? and what bit depth / sampling rate do you use? I currently use 16/44 but have heard persuasive arguments on why 24/96 would yield better end results even when cds themselves are 16/44, but didnt know if the tonal range of a bass would be able to take advanage of those benefits.

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I do record direct, yes.

I'm recording at 16 bit/44.1 as well. I guess I've just never got round to experimenting with anything else!

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Higher bit & sampling rates will theoretically yield a higher fidelity sound even after the recording has been dithered to 16/44.1 IF . . . the convertors used are of high quality.

The thing is - in the average $300 sound card - you probably won't hear tremendous difference between recording @ 16/44 - and 24/96 because the convertors are "consumer" grade. This is not a slam - its just a fact. You will hear a difference - it just won't be WOW!!!

With high end convertors (protools HD, Apogee) what you end up hearing is a huge difference in dimension. The sounds have a more natural and clearer presence over all. The jump to 192 is even more striking - where you can sense the air and space around the instrument as well (with a good mic & pre)

For the past year I routinely record at 24/96 on a ProTools HD system and overall am happy with the results. The 16/44 recordings from years past all seem flat and 1 dimensional in comparison. The 24/96 stuff has a depth and presence - more "space" between the elements. It makes stacking up lots of tracks really easy.

Sometimes that suits the music - sometimes it doesn't and I actually prefer the sounds I was getting with the 16/44 system.

The bass related comparison would be "closed" and "open". The 16/44 system sounded closed up and the 24/96 system sounds very open.

The take away from all this rambling - IMHO, the key is the convertors. Always use the highest quality convertors you can afford.

6. Fredeuh

Fredeuh

Aug 15, 2005
    South France
    Thank you all for your answers!!!!

7. Burg

Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    U.K.

Hey Steve, bit off topic this.

Do you mix in standard stereo, or 5.1?
    I've just got a new surround system on my stereo (well, DVD player) and it works really well with your CD's.
    I think your music suits a surround sound format really well, and was wondering if you'd given any thought to a 5.1 mix?

I've never done any mixing myself so my question is probably a bit basic, but just an idea that occurred to me.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hello Burg,

it's definitely something I want to do at some point - probably when I get round to filming a DVD. Once I've got a new Looperlative with 6 outputs (mine's still a prototype with only stereo out), I'll start experimenting with multiple sound sources...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

9. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Over the years I’ve recorded on lots of different media! On my first record it was 8-track analog tape with dbx, then it was 24 track analog, direct to disk, direct to half-track, the old Sony U-Matic, Beta hi-fi, DAT, 24 track digital, analog with Dolby SR, ADAT, DA88, DSD, various hard disk and random access systems… whew! These days I use Logic, usually at 24-bit. The other gear I use depends on what kind of piece I’m recording, but I usually go direct. The extended notes in the E-CD data section of the Soliloquy CD go into specific detail if anyone’s interested.