1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording gutteral vocals?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by paradigm_shift, Sep 12, 2008.

1. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    I know this is a bass forum, but I thought I would try..It's all music at the end of the day..

Are there any particular mic's I should use or try for that gutteral vocal sound?
    Are there any particular mic's favoured by these style bands?
    Im thinking in the vein of Devourment, Disgorge,Cephalotripsy..
    just really low and deep sounding.. Anything else worth asking?

I will be trying it out with some Dynamic mic's in the next few days. Any particular models worth looking at?

2. Cup your hands around the mic, be on a bathroom and help yourself with a Shure SM 58. Instant brutality right there.

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    SM58 with a "mic-condom" AKA wind screen!

4. DO NOT CUP THE MIC!

sure it will make it sound lower, but it will only sound low and bassy. record a good 4-6 inches away from the mic, this will allow the mic to pic up the lows/highs/mids of the scream.

While editing it, you dont want to EQ it a whole lot, because then the scream will sound too artificial you should try to keep it as close to your normal sounding scream. I do suggest compressing it a tad, and then normalizing it to bring it up in the mix.

also do not pan it to left or right (duh)(at least for the lead vocals)

5. If you want a 'nice' recording of that sort of a vocal a large diaphragm dynamic like an SM7 or RE20 is worth a try, but you probably don't. Sometimes it's easier just to let the singer hold the mic and cup it or swallow it or do whatever it is he does live to get those sounds.