Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording Headaches

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Nov 2, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I know this has nothing to do with bass but there aren't many forums with as many members as this.

i need a cheap way to record a drum kit.
    any suggestions?

2. My band is currently recording. Since we don't have a recorder, here is what we are doing. All the stuff is set up in the basement. Upstairs, in the "computer room", we have a mic with a 6-7ft. cord on it. We then proceeded to run the mic through a heating vent down into the basement. It actually works pretty good. If you put the drums by a computer microphone, the mic will pick the drums up pretty good (at least it did in my case). I don't know if you wanna try it, but it's just a suggestion. Good Luck! :D

3. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    what kind of mic is it?

4. It looks just like this one. If you want to I could make a little sound clip of the drums. Just let me know.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I use three mics

1 Kick
    2 Snare (position it so you get hi hat as well)
    3 overhead (position it over the ride and floor tom-so they are equal volume).

Spend a lot of time trying different positions

I currently use a SM57 an AKG D65 and an old Shure Prologue condenser.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A good way I've used is as follows:

1. Bass drum
    2. Snare/hi-hat
    3. Stereo pair overhead, so you get toms and crash & ride in stereo - good when it comes to fills.

But, the acoustic of the room is especially important with drums - particularly the snare IME. I've found the snare sound is the hardest to get right.