1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording Headaches

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Nov 2, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I know this has nothing to do with bass but there aren't many forums with as many members as this.

i need a cheap way to record a drum kit.
    any suggestions?

2. My band is currently recording. Since we don't have a recorder, here is what we are doing. All the stuff is set up in the basement. Upstairs, in the "computer room", we have a mic with a 6-7ft. cord on it. We then proceeded to run the mic through a heating vent down into the basement. It actually works pretty good. If you put the drums by a computer microphone, the mic will pick the drums up pretty good (at least it did in my case). I don't know if you wanna try it, but it's just a suggestion. Good Luck! :D

3. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    what kind of mic is it?

4. It looks just like this one. If you want to I could make a little sound clip of the drums. Just let me know.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I use three mics

1 Kick
    2 Snare (position it so you get hi hat as well)
    3 overhead (position it over the ride and floor tom-so they are equal volume).

Spend a lot of time trying different positions

I currently use a SM57 an AKG D65 and an old Shure Prologue condenser.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A good way I've used is as follows:

1. Bass drum
    2. Snare/hi-hat
    3. Stereo pair overhead, so you get toms and crash & ride in stereo - good when it comes to fills.

But, the acoustic of the room is especially important with drums - particularly the snare IME. I've found the snare sound is the hardest to get right.