1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording help? Feedback welcome;)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Hey soo before I tailor this question to my own personal needs and equipment, I have been reading many posts on recording in general, especially for bass. My band will be doing some self recordings in a couple days with my drummer's newly acquired pro tools. I don't know what mics he has, but he did get an interface of sorts with his pro tools. In the past I've recorded with pre sonus either going just into an m-audio box or utilizing my BDDI deluxe.

Of course everything is subjective and I should use my ears and just try out different arrangments, I'm curious as to how you folks would utilize the equipment I'm going to list below in a recording scenario.

Acoustic b600h (has direct out)
    ampeg 210av/acoustic 115 neo cabs
    tech21 bddi deluxe
    tech21 red ripper
    boss oc-3
    digitech rp80 (used for compressor/reverb/delay
    Squier VM jazz bass w/model j pickups

obviously there's the options of going purely DI (which I've done in the past) or micing cabs along with DI. Another thing I'm curious about is using my fx in the recoding, like into the sansamp or using my fx into the head/cab? I feel like there's so many options! lol Anyhow, any suggestions or feedback would be welcome! I'll no doubt be testing as many different arrangements as possible

2. The hardware for the pro-tools system varies.

- How many tracks can your drummer's system record simultaneously?

If his hardware can only record 2 at a time, the strategy will be different than if his hardware can record 8 at a time.

3. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    I dont know too much about the protools he has, but it can definitely record more than 2 at once, I'd say 8 or higher. We don't have that many mics though, at the most I would say 4 or 5