1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording in Garageband

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DMBassNVox, Aug 11, 2012.

1. DMBassNVox

DMBassNVox

Apr 25, 2009
    Norfolk, VA
    I'm new to recording and I need help knowing how to mix as my recordings sound like crap. I'm using garageband, a line 6 POD X3, with a Fender blacktop HH telecaster and either a fender J bass or an Ibanez SR505.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Can you be more specific? For me it was alot of experimentation to hear what worked.

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    You need to do alot of playing with levels and stuff. There's no real Set perfect mix. Each one is different. For me a good mix is
    -good tones from all instruments, full and clear
    -if you try, you can hear each instrument individually
    -all come together as a whole to make a solid sound

Good examples are, Soreption, meshuggah(bass is distorted heavily though), dream theater

Another rule of thumb to go by is drop the volume till its silent, then as you bring up the volume, the firs thing you should hear is snare drum.

Just my experience.

4. DMBassNVox

DMBassNVox

Apr 25, 2009
    Norfolk, VA
    more specific? well the equipment i just named is literally all i use. i was thinking about getting a small mixing board, as i figured it might help. my guitar tone is very jerry cantrell, adam joneish and my bass tone is kinda tim commerford (for the j bass) and very low mid heavy for the ibanez. what else did you wanna know?

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I record right on my iPad with the garage band app. Sorry I can't be of more help :/

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
  7. emrekardes

emrekardes

May 20, 2008
    Hi guys

I am currently very new with ipad3 and try to do recording in garageband (GB) with my bass, guitar and midi instrument. I am not professional but having great fun with music playing.

For guitar and bass, my gear is vox amplitube (http://www.voxamps.com/uk/amplug/) plugged into ipad. You can get some sound in GB however there is extremely deep noise and volume level is very low. Trying to find solution to this now.

I had a look on forums for the last two days.it seems that there are variety of opportunities to do recording on ipad. However not sure which of them is providing satisfying result.

irig, apogeejam are useful gears but are just mono devices not stereo.?

Alesis ios dock seems like nice tool but not compatible with ipad 3.

Another way is to use usual soundcard with powered usb kit and ipad camera connection kit (you can have a look in the link) however not sure with its quality again. Can there be latency problem etc.?

Is there someone to advise me the optimum solution?