1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Recording Justin Chancellor-Type Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Logan Anderson, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Logan Anderson

Logan Anderson

Jan 20, 2021
    Hey y'all, I've never posted here before so I have no idea if I'm in the right place. Anyway I have this song where I'm trying to emulate the sound Tool's Justin Chancellor has on the song "Invincible" and his heavy yet shimmery tone is really hard to get. I'm working with Logic Pro and trying to dial in the virtual amp and pedal settings but nothing seems to be sounding right. I also have little to no experience with this software. Any amp/pedal presets, settings, etc y'all recommend?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It sounds like the typical Justin Chancellor tone to me, along with some added modulation in parts. He's usually playing a Wal with a pick using fresh roundwound strings. What bass are you using? Are you using a pick? What kind of strings are you using? How fresh are they? All of these things are WAY more important than anything you're doing in the box.

3. Logan Anderson

Logan Anderson

Jan 20, 2021
    Ok so my bass is an Ibanez Soundgear, Rotosound Swing Bass strings. Yes I'm using a pick. I've been able to get a pretty similar tone with it when playing it through my Fender Rumble 75 with the pedals and stuff but doing it in the computer has been way harder so far.

4. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you can get a similar tone using your amps and pedals, why not just send that signal into your interface?

5. Logan Anderson

Logan Anderson

Jan 20, 2021
    We typically find it better to EQ it with the clean tone. Maybe that's wrong? Idk

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    All that matters is what comes out of the speakers. If you can send a signal into the DAW that achieves what you want and requires less DSP in the box then you've not only saved yourself time, but you've also reduced the demands of processing power at the computer. If you're unsure about going that route just throw a clean DI ahead of your pedalboard and capture both the wet signal (pedalboard plus amp) and the dry signal (bass into DI). Keep the dry signal muted unless you need it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021