1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording live bass covers.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BeanzCorp, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Just wanting to know how people record covers (like on youtube) and get them to sound so clear.
    I normally just use my camcorder but recently I've tried recording into my computer on audacity and cubase, but the sound comes out very muffled, even with the EQ flat.

Here's one of my vids; Alex Miller On Israel Houghton.AVI - YouTube
    Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How are you getting your bass into Audacity or Cubase? With an interface, or just a cable connected straight to your computer?

3. Cable connecting straight in. How much is a "good" interface?

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It really depends what you're looking for. You can find something in the $100-$200 range easily. More features cost more money, and bare bones may be a little less.

Basically you need to consider how many and what type of in/outs you want/need and whether you want USB or FireWire connection to your computer.

I had good luck with Presonus stuff, right now I've got a Focusrite, and plenty of people like M-Audio as well. I'd check out the Focusrite Saffire 6 and go from there.