Recording methods?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 76Tbird, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Alright, i wasnt sure where to post this, so Misc will do.

Got a small problem. My band is doing a 4 song CD at a small home studio. The guy that runs it does a lot of "Phil Collins" type stuff just making entire songs from scratch on the PC, using Protools or something similar.

The problem i'm having is that the guy wants me to record the tracks in small sections. He started the night wanting me to play/record ONE BAR at a time, stop, listen, save, and then start the next bar perfectly where the last one ended. Now, i dont know if this is a generally accepted method, but it REALLY F-ed up the groove and the mood for me. I left the session frustrated and confused. Do i have a legit problem here or am i just inexperienced? Any suggestions to help me out?

2. This is what I'd do- run the song in length a few times through, patch any fixes that you need to make.

Is there any reason he wants to do it like that?
  3. 76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Thats what i would do as well...I thought the reason one worked off a computer is that you could very easily edit certain parts and do loops and stuff. He doesnt seem to want to do any cutting and pasting at all, i cant have extra notes on the end or else i have to leave off those notes next time i start. Just seems a totally bass-ackwards way to do things.

Keep it coming dudes.
  4. that seems an odd way to do it. personally i would run through the entire song, then go back and punch in-punch out record any bits that needed fixing....