Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording mp3s?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Newman, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    hey

just wanna know if theres a way to record mp3's of me and possible my band on my comp without having a mic.
    thx

[This message has been edited by Newman (edited August 04, 2000).]

2. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Newman-

You need to give us more info, buddy.

Record what? A CD? Your bass? Multiple Tracks?

To my knowledge, there is NO single source of actually "recording" to a MP3 track. All Mp3 are bassically conversions of WAV files.....which bassically is the industry standard for recording digital music.

If you have an analog multitrack or even a tape player, you can use the stereo output to the stereo input of your PC (providing you have a sound card). Once recorded into your PC (via a WAV file), most MP3 players have a conversion tool.

I use several different pieces of software personally....but the best shareware Mp3 players (IMO) are Winamp and MusicMatch Jukebox.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Pretty simple answer. No. If you dont have a mic, what are you recording into? The monitor? Osmosis doesnt work, in this case. Sorry! Youre gonna need to get a mic. And for REALLY simple but crappy recordings, record it into "sound recorder" and then get a wav->mp3 converter, and bam. Itll sound like crap though. Best just to rent a studio. Or, if money allows, build one!