recording my bass on to a pc

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by stuartford, Mar 11, 2003.

1. i need to know how to record my bass lines on to a pc i dont want to do it with just a mic cause i need it to sound better than that

can anyone tell me what stuff i need to get

cheers stuart
  2. It really depends what kind of stuff you've got already before, e.g. what kind of soundcard have you got, how many inputs does this have and what connections does it have, what kind of recording software have you got?

Basically though, if you're not wanting to just mic it up, then your other option could be to DI it instead/as well as. Have you got a bass amp with a DI output? If so go from this output (which will be an XLR, i.e. mic lead, connection), which will bring your signal up to line level, which can then be recorded into your computer. Alternatively you could get a separate DI box if your amp doesn't have this. If you've got a standard soundcard that came with the computer you can then just plug this into the line-in input, although this will probably be a mini-jack input, and so you'll need to get some kind of converter so you're able to actually plug it into the computer. If this is what kind of set-up you have and you want to get a really good sound though, then you might want to look at getting a good soundcard, as a standard souncard won't sound too great as they're not really designed for sound recording. Then you'll need some kind of software recording programme (Protools, Cubase, Cool Edit Pro, etc to actually record into.

Sorry if a lot of what I've said is not along the right lines or is what you already know, but if you get the chance give some more info about what your current set-up is.

By the way, where abouts in Leicester are you from, I'm from Melton Mowbray myself, about 30 mins from the city.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just installed 'Guitar Tracks' Cakewalk. it came free with my j-station. I took a 1/4" plug from the tuner/line out of my ashdown into a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter into the line in of the built in sound of my motherboard (yeah yeah yeah... I'm saving for a good soundcard).

here are some samples:
    take 1 -831k
    after the sadness -5.4mb

the drums are from 'Drag and drop drummer' that came bundled with 'Guitar tracks' and the guitar is my strat -> j-station -> computer line in.

please keep in mind the first is just the initial tracks I put down while testing the install (my girl liked it, so I made it an mp3 for her) and the second is a guitar line I strum on acoustic that I 'STILL' haven't arranged or wrote a bass line to... what's recorded is just noodling to the tune