1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording my Synth Bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ben_the_bass, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ben_the_bass

ben_the_bass

Jul 12, 2005
    Rocklin
    The last time I recorded with my band was about a month ago and one of the songs we recorded uses my Line 6's synth bass effect. Most times I can get an explosive sound out of the amp without much tweaking on my basses and my passive basses have the best consistent synth tone. However, when I went to record it, the tone was flat and dead. I'm a complete newbie to recording and I'm just now taking a commercial music production class so please keep the jargen to a minimum. :D

2. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    try micing the cab maybe?

3. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Actually, micing a cab is probably the problem. If you mic a cab you want the signal to be as dry as possible; no reverbs, delays, echos.

I am guessing that you did mic the cab. If you did, try using the DI out on the back of the amp. If you really want to use a mic you could mic the cab and record a track, then play the track back into the effect and cab and use the DI on the back to record a new track with the effect on it.

I think it would yield almost the exact results with both techniques. However going straight from DI to recording would be much easier.