Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording of Jazz Trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 20, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Bass playin' is fine! I could see the drummer wasn't helping you lock in though! Drummer was all over the place with no definitive groove!

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    you are obviously the tightest one in your ensemble. I can't say I dig your drummer or your cover of Take Five (but I'm real picky for that song :p) Great bass work and keep it up, on the whole you guys are pretty sweet.

EDIT: Another song I'm picky for is Song for my Father, I kinda dig your version. I like your guitarists' tone especially. kinda has a surf feel to it. I dig.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Your guitarist is very spotty, and needs to practice the heads -- a lot. Rushing and flub notes all over the place, and the same is true for his solos. Very noodly, and he hits a lot of "avoid" notes -- 2nds, 4ths, etc. at the wrong times. Also, a few too many licks and patters, they could definitely use more flow. Overall, it seems like he's a rock and blues player dipping his toes in jazz. He seems FAR more comfortable in "Song For My Father," after you guys actually get into it (the beginning is a bit of a mess with you trying to bring everyone in time together.) The tone and playing seems much more natural, only a couple obvious bad notes in the solos.

Drummer seems much more comfortable in the rockier/proggier sections (his big solo clues us in on that.)

I love your tone and your playing in Straight, No Chaser. It's not "electric-jazz" or fusiony in the slightest, but it also doesn't try (and inevitably fail) to be a double bass. Good stuff. You've found a great balance here.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Dang, you have a good ear. Yup the guy is a rock/blues player. He also studied classical guitar as well. Great guy, but relatively new to Jazz, like me. But in his defense, he was a guitar player reading from a chart. :D

And the drummer grew up jammin the prog rock stuff from the 70s. Had some decent chops, but I wish he wasn't as busy as he was in the recordings. I like the bass to provide the motion, while the drummer sets the tempo. Not the other way around.

Thanks for the comments guys.

6. Well, you can tell you guys are pretty new to jazz. It's got a very rock-kinda jazz vibe to it, yet not in a fusion-kinda way. I like your playing, though. Good tone and taste. But I don't like the overall sound of the group. But hey, you are still learning, I have just begun myself so I know what it's like:)

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice,i love Take Five

8. You guys have a great potential sound... kinda bluesy and rock mixed in (the drum fills give it away as well as the guitar bends).

Sounds like you're pretty much the person holding down the groove. Through the songs both the drummer and the guitarist are rushing the beat.

You gotta get that drummer to listen to you. :)

I'll be interested in hearing more sound clips of you guys!

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D ;)

+1 He needs to tighten up, sit back, and listen to you a lot more than he is. Once he gets it together, the guitarist will follow suit.

10. Please, PLEASE, for the love of God, tell the drummer to accent 2 and 4. Thats the starting placing for all jazz is the high hat.. He can do NOTHING with the bass drum and hands but he HAS to have 2 and 4.. It almost needs to be exaggerated. Also, tell the drummer he doesnt have to fill every 4th note and lay off of the china. It almost started sounding like a Godsmack concert..

As far as the guitarest he is definantly getting the idea but just needs a little work. I do like his tone. Sometimes, playing with jazz guitarest, their tone can be a little too dark for him.

As far as you, as mentioned before, sonically you are the leader in the band.. You know what you are doing and are keeping it solid. If I could give any suggestion, it would be for you to also accent 2 & 4. Listen to some Ray Brown Trio stuff. If you want to hear swinging, thats the man. Its almost like he is dropped a brick on 2 & 4 but it DRIVES the band.

Just some constructive criticism. Not trying to get down on you guys because you have potential. Just gotta get the feel of things a bit..

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Jive, great stuff lots of potential. The biggest thing I noticed is it seemed like your playing is the "most solid" part of the band. I've always been lucky when it comes to jazz, I guess everytime I play I end with some monsters that are so good I spend half the gig wondering how I got on the stage with these folks.

The only criticism I have woulb be the "slap part" of "Caravan", great arraingement but I thought it needed more punch in the tone. I love your tone on the other stuff I heard (Straight, no Chaser, Take Five and one of my favorite jam songs Footprints)

12. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I think you guys sound great! You have a unique sound that could make you stick out from the usual 10 p.m. jazz bar set group of players.

My only suggestion would be for you all to develop jazz sensibilities. This isn't to say that you should dive into every bebop album you can find and emerge the 'new generation' of jazz heads....there's already too much of that.

I mean, keep what you've got - the feel, the tone, etc. but put a little polish on it so that when 2 people are playing more jazzy, the third person hears it and can play along instead of sticking out. Maybe sit down and decide which tunes will be jazzier and which will have some edge.

I actually like the drummer, but then again I always preferred busy drummers. There are times that he could bring it back a notch simply because he's either throwing off everyone else or distracting away from the person with the spotlight at the time. Also, might want to lay off the snare for his accents and use a combination of all the parts of the kit...some cymbals with kick drum and toms to make a fill or transition, etc.

I think the guitarist has the idea and with some more development of technique and ideas he'll be there.

And remember, your bassline doesn't always have to begin on the root note on beat one of each measure. That's one of the benefits of playing in a trio, you have more sonic space so that when you're continuing your bassline to the next measure or chord, you can hang on a root which turns into the 3 or 5 of the next chord and it creates a new sound or tension that everyone can play off of. You can't do those things in a bigger or more structured group since you could clash with someone. Try doing that a little more.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh, I'm working some jazz into my lounge/blues act this morning when we rehearse, actually. Its guitar/bass/drums as well. Caravan and Well You Needn't are two of the charts I gave to the guitar player last week to learn. :cool:

You've received quite a few valid comments so far, I think. I dig the spirit of what you're trying. But rather than trying to take it more toward the traditional, I wouldn't mind hearing you play to the strengths of the other guys in your band. Maybe Caravan could go full King Crimson, for instance? There's no law that says you have to swing everything. If you're looking to tap into trad jazz gigs, that's another story, of course. Above all else, keep it fun though.

Just for the heck of it, here's a version of Caravan done by my other trio, which is obviously made up of traditional geezers. They do put up with my lame EUB playing though. ;)

http://www.passing-wind.com/tunes/Caravan.mp3 (3.9 meg)