Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording of Paganini's Fifth Caprice...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MWBass, Jan 11, 2006.

1. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Hey,

I had made a post about this recording in the amps section and it got moved here, and I can't seem to find it, so I am just posting it again...

This is my first attempt at recording at home. I recently got Cubase System 4 and a pair of M-Audio Bx5a's, so I finally, after countless hours of experimentation figured out how to record and add effects and such. So, a few days ago, I took my first stab at recording at home, and I chose Paganini's Fifth Caprice, because I love classical music, and it was the most recent challenge I put myself up too. I took Yngwie Malmsteen's transcription and retranscribed it to 4 string bass. It worked out half way decent, only one note was out of the range, and I didn't feel like retuning for the song, so I omitted the note, its somewhere near the end.

This is a really crappy version, the good version was 7 mb and this one is only 355 kb, so you can definetly hear the difference. Also, I only played the song at 120 bpm, when Yngwie's version was at 160, it still blows my mind...

So, I figured I'd throw it up, and see what you guys think. For any of you who responded to my old post on this, thanks for the input, I just can't seem to find it, so, post again If you wish.

Later on guys...

Marc

2. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    I totally forgot that I uploaded the clean 7 mb version to my purevolume page. The address is...

www.purevolume.com/marcwallace

So, If you want to hear the better version, check it out...

3. Damn. Good job man. That sounds awesome! Usually bass tapping at that speed sounds very sloppy and rattley, but you managed to make it sound clean. Are you using a hair scrunchy or something to mute the neck?

4. Wow...I wanna do that. Got a video or something? How many strings?

5. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Hey,

Thanks for the comps guys... Mikey, as for the tone, I did not use a scrunchie, I just rolled the pickup selector more towards the neck pickup ( Split P on a Fodera Monarch ) It gave a drier more attacking tone, and then I just tapped harder then usual to get more definition, It probably also helped that the Steinberg MI 4 interface is dope as hell.

Ryst, unfortunately I do not have a video at this time, I'm trying to get my hands on one of my roommates digital camcorders, we'll see what I can pull off. The recording was done on a 4 String Fodera Monarch VW Classic ( Buckeye Burl over Mahogany).