1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording on a budget

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ninjaaa23, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Ninjaaa23

Ninjaaa23

Aug 2, 2012
    Ok so basically I want to record bass for covers mainly, however I'm a bit clueless as to what I need exactly. I ideally dont want to spend over £65, So how should I go about this?
    I was thinking an audio interface or somethng along those lines

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for looking.

2. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I have this.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-AUDIOGRAM-6-COMPUTER-RECORDING-SYSTEM-105172928-i1423714.gc I think it still comes with cubebase. Garage band on a mac works just fine though. I personally like to mic a cab as well as DI. If you aren't going for a super profesional sounding recording you can get away with just about anything. If you ask me, it's more about learning how to EQ and mix things, which I still don't have down all that well. If you check out the sound cloud in my sig and my other songs You'll get an idea of what a guy who has no idea what he is doing can do with the interface I linked you too and garage band can do :)

3. Ninjaaa23

Ninjaaa23

Aug 2, 2012
    Bit out of my price range I'm afraid, need something a bit cheaper that can get me a good/decent sound.

4. Ninjaaa23

Ninjaaa23

Aug 2, 2012
  5. For covers, a field recorder is perfect e.g. the Tascam DR 07 along with a good webcam. When recorded just sync the two.

6. Ninjaaa23

Ninjaaa23

Aug 2, 2012
    Expensive from what I can see, looking for something more affordable.

7. Lexicon Alpha and the evaluation copy of Reaper (Never ending trial). Exactly what i used to do this cover. It cost me £57 from GAK if i remember correctly. The interface also comes with Cubase LE5 and the Lexicon Pantheon Reverb but i prefer Reaper myself. You can always use the bundled Cubase if you don't want to download Reaper.

Liam

8. This is a good deal for under 60 (GBP) . Also the Tascam US100 usb audio inteface is under 60. Cheaper is the Alesis Guitarlink cable.

9. Ninjaaa23

Ninjaaa23

Aug 2, 2012
    Nice cover dude, quite surprised at the quality there, I now have an idea of what I'm after thanks!

Last question and probably a stupid one but could I record from the amp using one of those, or would I have to just connect bass to laptop and then use software to tweak.

10. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    connect bass to it and use software. Although if your amp has a line out or effects send you could possibly run those. Otherwise you're up for the cost of a mic as well if you want to mic up your amp

11. Ninjaaa23

Ninjaaa23

Aug 2, 2012
    Yeah amp has line out, effects return and send.

12. You could use the line out or DI out from your amp into this easily. That's what i do nowadays as my Behringer preamp isn't being used like it was then.