Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording on a Laptop - What are my options?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rodan, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Currently, I do not own a desktop, but do have a fairly new laptop that I have been thinking of using for recording (I think the ol' 4-track needs to be put to sleep).

I've been doing some research on software and I have decided that I would like to try Sonar. The part that I'm nto quite up to speed yet is how to get the best sound into my laptop. Meaning, because the options for soundcards/audio interfaces are somewhat limited (or often much more expensive), I'm trying to figure out what my best option is.

Here is what I've gathered so far. I could go with a USB based interface like the Tascam US-428, or the Midiman USB Audio Duo. But if I get something like this, do I need to change my soundcard? I'm asking because I imagine the basic soundcard on my computer might give me latency problems and so forth. And if I do, what is my best (soundcard) option for a laptop?

Another thing I saw was the Digigram VX pocket laptop soundcard, which I believe can be attached to a 15 pin port which connects to I/O

Finally, the most expensive option I have seen is get a firewire card and buy something like the MOTU 828. But again, if I did this, would I also need to upgrade my soundcard.

Obviously, I'm looking for the best compromise between sound quality and price. I would be interested to hear opinions from people who currently use or have used laptops as their recording workstation.

Thanks

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    No you don't. If your basic sound card for some reason creates problems you can always disable it, right? Firewire is the best option if your laptop supports it. You may want to check that the soundcard of your choise has working drivers for your OS.

3. Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?