Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording on video, YIKES!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Hookus, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Man, my band just recorded a 30 minute set to go on TV here in Austin during SXSW, and it was the first time any of us had played for nothing but cameras. Looking up and seeing nothing but four cameras is incredibly intimidating. Talk about having to force getting into it, man, it is tough to get into it like you are playing a gig with no people there.

Although it was crazy to show up, and have like 15 people running around the studio, treating you like rock stars! :cool: Those 30 minutes took about four hours of work, pretty intense.

I am happy-ish with the results, we could not hear the monitors at all, so it was amazing vocals came out as well as they did (they ran direct to a board, then out from the board), and it is wierd how you are able to pick apart your performance when recorded this way.

Everybody here should make an attempt to record their band at least once on video, not at a show, and use it as a critical tool.

2. BluezBassist

BluezBassist

Aug 5, 2004
    Hey Hookus,

Way to go on getting the TV spot...I work in television in Canada and have produced some shows that feature local music talent and the whole TV process is very foreign to most of these players...

The studio environment is awkward to work in to say the least, especially when the crew is occasionally made up of a dozen people who've seen a bunch of bands and are not overly into it every day. Some days we refer to it as making sausages...Grind 'em up and crank 'em out. TV is a valuable tool though, it's an easy way to get in front of way more people than you would at any show.

That's unusual that you wouldn't get a good monitor mix in the studio. :eyebrow: I don't know what kind of station you were in, but IMO I'd say that there is no way you shouldn't have had decent monitoring on the floor...Glad you were sort of okay with the end result. At the very least you have a nice addition to the resume and I hope they burned you a DVD of the performance that you can copy and use as a promotional tool to send out to clubs/managers etc.

Way to go!

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Get the video encoded and let us check it out.

DCat,

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    We did walk away with a DVD copy of the master. We will be adding a clip to our website as we get more of the content up. New site, and going is slow...