Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording onto a computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ThePaste, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Hey I have a question (well...dur), my friend said he had a soundcard and some "software" (he said he didn't know what kind) that me and my guitarist could record onto, does anyone know what he is talking about? How do you record onto computers? He is a drummer and therefore stupid, that's why I'm asking you guys.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Haha. Anyway, most computers have an eighth inch stereo line in jack on the back. For the love of god don't use the mic in jack. The software he is talking about probably allows one to save sound as a .wav file. This is basically the same as what you get with any digital recorder, though quality varies incredibly depending on things like sound card, bit depth supported etc. You certainly can multi track, edit mix and master on a computer,
    I have been doing it for a while. There are many inexpensive software packages to that would work fine for someone who wants to make a demo, like cakewalk express or soundforge XP. You can spend thousands as well, depending on how into it you get, though you definetly don't have to.

3. Using your computer with your recording projects is a definite advantage in that several inexpensive programs can give you a wide range of editing tools that will make your music come to life. I have never recorded direct to the computer myself, but I usually master them to the computer for a sort of 'final edit' if you will and I have found it really adds that special something.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I got a recording software called Total Recorder...
    but the illegal part of the story is that i got a key generator for it and now it´s a full program.

it´s a little program, nothing fancy, but it records from ANY source, i use the Mic In Jack and it´s pretty cool... so I spend nothing, of course i just record little pieces... nothing i would sell.

you can record a piece on it and save it as MP3 (that was the best part)...

if you want to hear some examples, get this file i did yesterday:
    http://members.nbci.com/radioheadmex/Dave Castelo - Greatest Hits.zip

if you need more info just ask

5. Thanks guys that's what I wanted to hear, as it turns out, we can just record onto my guitarists computer. Also, are the inputs on your computer where you plug in things called S/PDIf (I think). Because I'm going to get an ADA MB-1 preamp sooner or later and I think it has them. But anyways, are those for direct recording onto computers?

Second, How would you record drums??? I mean putting a mic on each different cymbal and drum and then run them through a mixer then a converter then the computer? The converter being what converts the XLR into ____(whatever goes into the computer?).

Thanks!

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    How many mics you want for the drums depends on how many mics you have. ;) The common way (for those with limited money and number of audio channels) is to mic the bass drum and the snare with two separate mics and then have two condenser mics as overheads to pick up the cymbals and toms. It works pretty good if you do it right, but nothing beats having a separate mic for each piece of the drum kit - then you have full control of the sound ("I think I need a +2 dB boost around 350 Hz on the mid-tom" ;)).

Unless you have multiple inputs on your sound card, you have to use a mixer to blend the signals from the mics. The problem with this is that you have to get a proper mix out of the drums before recording anything - if e.g. the snare turns out to be too weak when you have recorded everything and are mixing the tracks... well, you have little else to do than re-recording them or just live with it. Sucks, doesn't it?

Wouldn't that be 1/8", using an adapter from 1/4" to 1/8"? And REAL audio recording sound cards (like my card :D) have RCA inputs. ;)

I can recommend paying a visit to www.audioforums.com , even if there's not much activity going on there, most of them know what they're doing. Also visit http://www.pcrecording.com/ .

HTH