Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording onto a PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LA, Aug 22, 2002.

1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I want to record some bass samples onto my PC, but with Sound Recorder, there's way too much extra noise during playback that is not heard during the recording. I presently run the bass into the line-in on my sound card, which is a Creative SoundBlaster PCI64V, or something like that. Are there better software choices besides Sound Recorder?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Software won't get rid of your noise problems. Have you tried turning off the monitor/backing away from the computer while recording? Which sample rate/bitrate are you recording at? What's the rest of the signal chain? Do you normalize the wave?

As for audio editors, try www.goldwave.com. Good stuff, and shareware without restrictions (last time I checked anyway).

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Soundblaster = noise, at least if you use the mic ins.
    Get a good audio card, e.g. Midiman Audiophile 2496.

4. okenwood

okenwood

Aug 19, 2002
    always use the line in input for recording on the PC. but you will have to activate it in the sound manager.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Soundblasters are very bad at recording. You need some type of pre-amp before you go into the soundcard to get good sound, but... Check the line in level by clicking the little speaker thingy, preferences, then recording. (Assuming your using a windows OS that is.